Why is Gmail Push not working?

saobi

Reaction score
I've had this problem before, and last time I cleared Gmail cache and it worked. 2 days ago it stopped working again, I cleared Gmail cache, and it's no help. Now I have to manually refresh to check my Gmail, which is really pathetic cause I'd think push email (and Gmail out of all email services on a google-powered phone) should be the core functionality of the Droid. And yet this feature is so buggy it makes windows 98 look stable.

What's so hard getting push email right? Why can BB do it, but not Google? What's the technical difficulty here?

I'm starting to feel like this Droid is good as a gagdet, a toy. Not nearly ready for primetime. Ages behind Blackberry. NEVER EVER had a problem with push email on Blackberry.

Wtf?!

(sorry for the rant, but this push email not working + slow UI on the Droid is really really frustrating and makes me want to return it and go back to my reliable blackberry.).

aminaked

Silver Member
Reaction score
Clearing "Gmail storage" data always worked for me. Are you doing that? I was having the trouble once in a while because of certain wifi routers. I had to turn off wifi, but that was under 2.01 and it seems fixed with 2.1

Other things than can cause this:
- Do you have an automated task killer?
- Do you have anything stuck in your gmail outbox?

jacobrv

Reaction score
Just in case, try putting the "Power Control" widget on your home screen. It's a built in widget. Then make sure the 4th button is on. The one with the two arrows inside a circle. If that is off, all background data stuff is shut down. Email, RSS feeds, podcasts, any of that kind of stuff.