Why has Android abandoned USB Mass Storage?

WestOkid

Reaction score
I have been trying to figure out why the new phones are using MTP instead of USB mass storage. What was the problem with something that had become ubiquitous. With USB mass storage so popular, drivers are baked into every OS, TV sets, Cable boxes, Stereos, Cars and more. Just plug it in and go. This MTB crap barely works with anything. You need special drivers that work with specific devices. Basically, it sucks. I upgraded to an S3 last year and my car radio can no longer read my music files; I have to use Bluetooth. My little clock radio no longer reads my music and every computer I use has to have Samsung drivers installed. Does anyone know why Google doesn't like Mass USB?

OP
WestOkid

WestOkid

Reaction score
I am surprised I am the only one affected by this. Lol.I guess that's why they got rid of it. Nobody uses USB mass storage.

Tapped from a squeaky CleanRom on a VZW S3

drew96dawg

Reaction score
In my opinion I think they're moving to mtp to make Android's os more similar to windows thus making phones and Android a complete computer replacement

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Xparent BlueTapatalk 2

k1ngr4t

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Z Force
Can't say I have any trouble with USB storage on my desktop. Auto installed, connected. I hate kies. Good in theory, way too cluttered for use.

Don't know what MTP is either. Just know my phone also works fine with my BT transmitter in my car, which I occasionally plug in via USB to charge, but either way I can control the media with the device.

Not saying this device is necessary or anything, just mentioning it works fine with my kinda random 3rd party transmitter (which is awesome btw!). Not sure if that's the same as what you're talking about though...

diablo81588

Reaction score
MTP doesn't require mounting the storage, therefore you can still access the data from your phone while connected to usb.

Sent from my DROID BIONIC

OP
WestOkid

WestOkid

Reaction score
Can't say I have any trouble with USB storage on my desktop. Auto installed, connected. I hate kies. Good in theory, way too cluttered for use.

Don't know what MTP is either. Just know my phone also works fine with my BT transmitter in my car, which I occasionally plug in via USB to charge, but either way I can control the media with the device.

Not saying this device is necessary or anything, just mentioning it works fine with my kinda random 3rd party transmitter (which is awesome btw!). Not sure if that's the same as what you're talking about though...

Yes. Like I said in my post. It works with Bluetooth, but that has nothing to do with USB. It will also charge fine. USB Mass storage allows your phone's data is treated like a usb drive. This means that practically any modern device can read it (xbox, ps3, computers, car radios, TV sets, blueray and DVD players, home stereos,etc.) You don't have to worry about compatibilty. If thw sevice reads a thumb/flash drive, you are good to go. For MTB to work properly, you must have special drivers installed or the device must support your device.

k1ngr4t

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Z Force
Link didn't work wind.

Yes. Like I said in my post. It works with Bluetooth, but that has nothing to do with USB. It will also charge fine. USB Mass storage allows your phone's data is treated like a usb drive. This means that practically any modern device can read it (xbox, ps3, computers, car radios, TV sets, blueray and DVD players, home stereos,etc.) You don't have to worry about compatibilty. If thw sevice reads a thumb/flash drive, you are good to go. For MTB to work properly, you must have special drivers installed or the device must support your device.

Sorry, I should have emphasized the "via USB part." It's some random brand BT transmitter that also acts as an FM transmitter, has an SD card slot, and can be plugged in via USB to charge/play files directly off the phone. Still not sure if this helps at all, but just to clear up any confusion from my last post...

OP
WestOkid

WestOkid

Reaction score
Thx. I will check it out

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 4 Beta