why does the back of my Droid is turning orange/brown?

dro

Reaction score
Unless you work with some sort of corrosive materials or cleaning supplies, it must be the alcohol in the hand sanitizer. At any rate, something you are using often seems to be leeching the dye from the rubberized coating. Have you noticed any black dye rubbing off on your hands? When you sanitize, do you always allow the alcohol to evaporate entirely before handling your Droid? Do you use any industrial cleaning supplies, corrosive aerosols, or alcohol wipes regularly? Do you work with any sort of armor-all products or other vinyl dressing supplies? Is your Droid ever exposed to prolonged sunlight?

OP
Cy-Fi

Cy-Fi

Reaction score
Unless you work with some sort of corrosive materials or cleaning supplies, it must be the alcohol in the hand sanitizer. At any rate, something you are using often seems to be leeching the dye from the rubberized coating. Have you noticed any black dye rubbing off on your hands? When you sanitize, do you always allow the alcohol to evaporate entirely before handling your Droid? Do you use any industrial cleaning supplies, corrosive aerosols, or alcohol wipes regularly? Do you work with any sort of armor-all products or other vinyl dressing supplies? Is your Droid ever exposed to prolonged sunlight?

I don't use any uncommon cleaners...just your usual household cleaners (Lysol, dish soap, murphy's oil soap, arm & hammer detergent...rarely even bleach because the fumes irritate me), I try to avoid harsh chemicals and I don't use my phone while using cleaners/wear gloves to clean. So my Droid really doesn't come in contact with those products. I don't come in contact with armor-all like products much at all.
95% of the time my hands are fully dried of sanitizer before using my droid.
The dye on the back of the droid has not come off on my hands or on anything else, no is it decaying...simply changing colors.
I also use Got2b glued hair spray, however that isn't a regular product and is normally used towards the back of my head & away from my ears.
My Droid hardly ever is in sunlight since most of my activities are nocturnal.

ps- cute avatar :)

OP
Cy-Fi

Cy-Fi

Reaction score
I don't know what could be causing this. But if you like the look of the droid and don't want a case, you could get one of those Zagg Invisishield covers, that covers the whole phone.

That is a solution I have been considering...do they come tinted or in some sort of color?
As things are now my phone would still have a slight poo color to it (has not turned orange yet like the last one)

Kack

Reaction score
sorry the invisishield is what i meant earlier by skin. that is what i have a whole body skin by invisishield i got mine on ebay for 10 bux and it took 15 min to put on. adds no bulk just shines i like the new look tho.

Hermes

Reaction score
It could just be your ph level, the salt and oils from your hands could be quite corrosive. Put a skin on it.

ApexAftermath

Reaction score
I have the same issue. I can see very faint orange/brownish spots starting to form around the area where the Motorola M is at on the battery cover. I NEVER use hand sanitizer and only regular soap when I wash my hands. I've had this Droid since February and been holding it without a case for the majority of the time. Don't really want to put a case on it as I like the slim design and every time I have put a case on it just feels too bulky.

Judging by the thread thus far it sounds like everyone is just guessing it is hand sanitizer without really knowing if that is the case or not. I'd just like to know what is causing it, and since I never use the stuff I know that can't be it.

timo1456

Reaction score
stop wiping so hard! sounds like your fingers are ripping through the paper! lol anyway i work for a doctor helping patients and i use hand sanitizer all day and have no discoloration.. so it may just be that brand.. but thanks for the post.. im gonna get a cover now. even though i feel the same way you do and dont want any bulky cover on my droid