Why do we not have Froyo on our Fascinates yet?

bluevolume

Reaction score
It's no surprise to anyone here that there is a lot of frustration over the delay in getting Android 2.2 on the Fascinate. It's been promised for months, other devices in the same class already have it, and its been built-up to be this "going to fix everything" pill. This really isn't anything new when it comes to these devices, I remember going through the same thing with my last two Verizon phones, even back to my Dell Axim. We're left wondering why these huge companies aren't stepping up and supporting us -- are they deaf and blind to their customers?

Without getting into a discussion about Verizon's customer service, which could take all day, here's a few things that I think could be causing the delay:
1. There's a problem with Android 2.2 and the CDMA version of the Fascinate that they haven't been able to resolve yet.
2. There's some strain in Verizon's relationship with Samsung. They may be in a negotiation for new devices and have put things on hold till its resolved.
3. Verizon hasn't determined that the release is necessary. The increase in support costs (which always come initially with a software update) isn't worth the perceived increase in customer satisfaction.
4. Verizon doesn't want to extend the lifespan of the Fascinate when there are new 4G devices on the horizon.
5. Verizon is waiting for the Fascinate to stop selling, and they will use the 2.2 update for a "refresh" to drive up sales. They did this same thing with the Voyager.

Feel free to add to this list. I think this is an interesting discussion, and we might as well talk about something while we are waiting for our upgrade!

Blue

shanewprice

Reaction score
I think it probably has more to do with the CDMA compatibility then anything else. I have heard rumors of this but have not been able to confirm.

With that said, even without Froyo, this is still a very nice phone. No reason for anyone to be upset about it. It will probably come eventually, then it will make a great phone even better.

Dark_Jedi

Reaction score
I agree. This phone is still much better than any of the Motorola phones running 2.2 because moto blur is killing the UI of the phone.

Jamis0n

Reaction score
I think it probably has more to do with the CDMA compatibility then anything else. I have heard rumors of this but have not been able to confirm.

With that said, even without Froyo, this is still a very nice phone. No reason for anyone to be upset about it. It will probably come eventually, then it will make a great phone even better.

Canada is cdma.

8pened!

Touch_Pete

Reaction score
Actually Canada used to be CDMA all the carriers are now HSPA + and the Canadian Fascinate is HSPA+

Sent from my SGH-T959D using DroidForums App

OP
B

bluevolume

Reaction score
After reading a few news sites and cruising the scene, I have one more to add:

6. There is a problem with the actual upgrade process. The 2.2 build has been ready for a while but the OTA roll-out tests are exposing problems.

This honestly makes the most sense out of anything I've seen yet, and to some extent excuses Samsung for the delay. For as upset we all are for not getting the upgrade, we would be furious if the upgrade did come out and it bricked our phones. If this is the situation, it also makes sense why current Fascinates aren't shipping with 2.2; it would create a PR nightmare for Verizon.

I know this thread isn't helping us get closer to our software upgrade, but I still think its worthwhile. I'm one of the people who has till the end of January to return my Fascinate, but I REALLY don't want to do that. I want the upgrade, along with a reasonable explanation as to why it took this long (for those who have been waiting months).