Why do Tegra devices get more love than OMAP devices?

k1ngr4t

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Z Force
I agree OP, I hate how Nvidia and ATI have always been at war. Both are great GPUs, but games seem to favor Nvidia and I'm yet to hear a resonable argument why other than more money. Equal quality cards for Nvidia are more expensive than ATI, this is just fact. And though it's close, I'd say Nvidia probably sells more than ATI. Thus, one can only assume companies partner with Nvidia because they get in on that profit. So even though it's not ATI (or AMD now), I'm sure it's no different with Nvidia and TI's OMAP...regardless, it's all money driven. Bastards....

LoneWolf15

Reaction score
Yep, totally get the whole "exclusivity" stuff, but it's a shame, especially since the OMAP processor is as good, if not better than Tegra.

The OMAP processor is better, as it supports NEON acceleration of media, whereas Tegra 2 does not.

Link:
NEON - ARM

locofocos

Reaction score
Let's just be glad it's not this way on PCs. It's bad enough having an nVidia logo on almost every game I play, despite playing on the highest end ATI card. I think it's really marketing. It's like that tiny bolt shop in your town. Even though they have a better, larger, cheaper selection of bolts, people go to Lowes or Home Depot just because that's what they see marketing for, and it has a prettier name and logo. (true story, building a freeboard). Tegra just sounds cool. OMAP looks like some 'scary' technical acronym to average buyers.

k1ngr4t

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Z Force
Let's just be glad it's not this way on PCs. It's bad enough having an nVidia logo on almost every game I play, despite playing on the highest end ATI card. I think it's really marketing. It's like that tiny bolt shop in your town. Even though they have a better, larger, cheaper selection of bolts, people go to Lowes or Home Depot just because that's what they see marketing for, and it has a prettier name and logo. (true story, building a freeboard). Tegra just sounds cool. OMAP looks like some 'scary' technical acronym to average buyers.

I totally agree with you on the technical acronym, it just doesn't appeal as much as Tegra. Definitely marketing. However, this sort of thing has been going on for years in PCs. Or was that sarcasm? Sarcasm doesn't translate well via internet...