Why did Verizon offer me a free upgrade to a 4g phone when there is no 4g in my area?

ndtaylor77

Reaction score
A couple of months ago a Verizon agent called me and told me I was eligible for an early upgrade to a 4g device because I use a lot of data on their 3g network. The representative stated they were doing this because of a high volume of 3g users in my area. I upgraded to a Razr Maxx of course. Funny thing is, 4g isn't even available in my area and I doubt it is coming soon considering I live in a very small town. Not only that, I still have an unlimited data plan. I'm not complaining, but what was the point in this?
Sent from my DROID RAZR using DroidForums

Droid-Xer

Super Moderator
Premium Member
Reaction score
To get you to buy a new phone and get locked into another 2 year contract. Reps don't care about data congestion, they care about making sales.

94lt1

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Turbo 2
To get you to buy a new phone and get locked into another 2 year contract. Reps don't care about data congestion, they care about making sales.

He said a free upgrade^^^^^^… did you ask them about upcoming 4g in your area??? And are you a heavy data user?

Rumor has it that Verizon is trying to get all of the heavy data users off of 3g. I personally think that if they could, they would get every body to 4g devices.

Best bet is dial *611 and ask. IMHO.

Do you like your phone??. Is there a 4g are close by?? What did they offer? A 4g phone will still work on 3g.... so if they offered you something you like, take it. But this is all subjective and ultimately up to you and your preference.

Just turn off the 4g when you can't use it. It really kills your battery.

sent from my DROID RAZR MAXX

Last edited:
OP
ndtaylor77

ndtaylor77

Reaction score
Not only was my Razr Maxx free, I was also given my choice of free accessory and I was only 9 months into my current contract. Doesn't really make sense to give away a Razr Maxx to keep me on for an extra 9 months.

94lt1

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Turbo 2
Not only was my Razr Maxx free, I was also given my choice of free accessory and I was only 9 months into my current contract. Doesn't really make sense to give away a Razr Maxx to keep me on for an extra 9 months.

So they had you sign up for another 2 years... no biggy. Idk, honestly I would just enjoy the free phone lol. I paid 250$ for mine, with case and a bunch of screen protectors.

sent from my DROID RAZR MAXX

OP
ndtaylor77

ndtaylor77

Reaction score
I do enjoy the phone very much and no, there isn't 4g for miles from where I live. More than anything, I was just curious to suggestions on how it would benefit Verizon to do this.

Sydman

Premium Member
Premium Member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Nexus 6P
I have 4G in my area and don't even use it. I would be thrilled if they gave me a free phone, I would feel fortunate if I were you. And if 4G comes to you then you can utilize it. That phone probably cost them 40 bucks or so they are not taking a loss.

OP
ndtaylor77

ndtaylor77

Reaction score
One of the cities listed is Macon, GA. Which is still an hour drive from me.

Sydman

Premium Member
Premium Member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Nexus 6P
One of the cities listed is Macon, GA. Which is still an hour drive from me.

Ah that sucks, oh well just enjoy your free phone until they spread out a little more. Seems they are adding new markets every month so far this year, might hit you soon.

Cor3yS

Reaction score
When I got my razr maxx I didn't have 4g in my town, bout a month later I started getting 4g so yeah they are spreading it pretty quick and I live in a small town too

jd5448

Reaction score
This also happened with me, Verizon sent me an email offering me a early upgrade to a 4G for FREE, I had my choice between three 4G phones and of course I chose the Razr Maxx, I was skeptical at first so I called a buddy of mine that works for Verizon to find out if this offer were true and sure enough it was because I am a heavy data user... No Verizon store in the Raleigh area had one in stock so I had to call and order one, They even gave me the Otterbox Defender for half price, I am now on my second week with my Maxx and I love it. Big upgrade from the Droid X!!!

thaDroidz

Silver Member
Reaction score
I live 45miles from 4g, but work in 4g area. At work I connect to Wi-Fi...

I still love the MAXX ..

----posted maxx'ed out----