Why did google do away with paste from clipboard?!

sweenbeen

Reaction score
I would like to know why in gods name did google do away with pasting from the clipboard in the GB update! I miss all the functions you had in the long press menu that pops up in text fields.

Unforgivable. Lol

Sent from my DROIDX using DroidForums

lalala11

Reaction score
Wow. My Droid Pro just updated to GB and I hadn't noticed that yet. That is going to be a problem for me. Also, if you accidentally copy something, it's there forever until you copy something new. Now I'm upset...I loved that feature! Currently checking the market for an app to take over this feature.

Droid-Xer

Super Moderator
Premium Member
Reaction score
This thread is almost 3 months old. Use clipper from the market.

lalala11

Reaction score
Indeed.

Yes, it is, but I happened to stumble upon it, and my phone, the Droid Pro, received the Gingerbread update on Saturday, October 15, 2011, so I had not yet noticed this feature change, which is less than 4 days old from where I stand. Thank you for the app suggestion. However, I fail to see how a thread's importance varies with its age. Surely the OP, upon receiving notice of my reply, did not assume I was looking for replacement apps for him, but understood that I was commiserating over the loss of a valued feature. As this thread led me to discover a new change to my phone's functioning, I am entitled to reply, regardless of how old the thread may be.

Droid-Xer

Super Moderator
Premium Member
Reaction score
Ya the app is an awesome tool. Can't live without it. Regarding old threads, often times the issue at hand is no longer relevant. With this, GB has arrived and has native copy/paste functions.

lalala11

Reaction score
GB has arrived and has native copy/paste functions.

My phone doesn't have native clipboard ability on GB, so I'm jealous if yours does. Mine has just standard copy here, paste there...no access to the clipboard, which was my problem in the first place. Tried a bunch of different clipboard apps, settled on Clipper. Thanks, I like it a lot, even if it's not as convenient as what my phone had on Froyo.

Droid-Xer

Super Moderator
Premium Member
Reaction score
Hmmm thats odd. I was under the impression that GB brought native copy/paste for all devices. So long pressing on a piece of text doesn't bring up the highlighters? Maybe use 2 fingers to long press a piece of text?

lalala11

Reaction score
When I long press in an email I'm reading, I get the highlighters and a second tap copies to clipboard, or when composing an sms holding down and choosing "select text" or "select all" brings up highlighters and I can copy; it varies based on what I'm doing. However, when I go to paste, the only option is straight-up "paste," and it pastes the most recent thing I copied. I used to be able to choose "paste from clipboard" and it would bring up a list of everything I had copied and I could choose whatever I wanted to paste or delete what I didn't want anymore. Basically, I had a Clipper type thing fully integrated into all text fields. It's sad that it's gone because I used it a lot with URLs. Clipper is an okay solution, just it adds a few steps to a process that worked fine the way it was.

OP
sweenbeen

sweenbeen

Reaction score
This thread was intended to point out that they got rid of the full clipboard not the copy past function ... like in froyo there was a huge clipboard ... I miss it. But as you pointed out its an old thread 1 and 2 there are apps to supplement what is now missing in GB

Sent from my DROIDX using DroidForums

vpaul11

Reaction score
Where is the function to Paste from clipboard? I liked keeping a few things that I type often and then when in a text field I could long press and choose paste from clipboard and choose the text to paste there.

OP
sweenbeen

sweenbeen

Reaction score
It was on my DX when it was on froyo

Sent from my DROID X2 using DroidForums

lalala11

Reaction score
Yeah, we established here that the option was on froyo, but if your phone is running gingerbread, you don't have that anymore. You have to download a clipboard app from the market (like Clipper). It adds an extra step: you have to then go into the app and select which line of text you want to copy, then go back to your text field and long press > paste. It's annoying because it worked better the way it was, but it works. Hopefully they put it back into ICS.