Why can't I restore a backup?

Zane_Grey

Reaction score
So I finally decided to try out a ROM. I made a backup using Rom Manager. Then used Rom Manager to install the Rom. I wiped everything, but forgot to put the Rom on the external sdcard so it failed. I decided to just restore my backup, which seemed like it worked fine until I got:

Invalid Flash Mode (S) (Boot Failure)
0A.61

Battery OK
OK to Program
Transfer Mode:
USB COnnected

Invalid CG OTV (CG: webtop): Invalid SP Data
Invalid CG HAB (CG: webtop, status: 0x004E)
Invalid CG OTV (CG: webtop)

I know how to unbrick my phone. The question is why did restoring a backup brick my phone? I am on 5.9.901. This really makes me miss my D1, things were so easy then. I used to flash things and restore all the time.

Rodimus4180

Reaction score
Is the backup pre 901? I know trying to do a android restore pre 901 is incompatible due to all the things 901 patches. Otherwise im at a loss

Sent from my DROID BIONIC

OP
Z

Zane_Grey

Reaction score
Is the backup pre 901? I know trying to do a android restore pre 901 is incompatible due to all the things 901 patches. Otherwise im at a loss

It was a 901 backup. I wish moto would just unlock this phone so we can flash a custom recovery.

Edit: I tried again and got it to work. I think it was because I used bionic bootstrap to create the backup then used an different bootstrap to try and restore. Such a long process to get to that "AH HA" moment.

Rodimus4180

Reaction score
Good news, I agree about the bootloader. I had had tge OG DROID before the Bionic so honestly I'm a little intimidated by the bootloader since it makes so easy to soft-brick the phone, its easy enough to get back, but such a rodonkulously long process.

Concistency

Reaction score
For future reference, I wouldn't recommend creating backups and flashing in rommanager. I would do it via the recovery menu (safestrap or regular) just to be on the safe side.

rapatrax

Reaction score
I bricked my razr xt910

So I finally decided to try out a ROM. I made a backup using Rom Manager. Then used Rom Manager to install the Rom. I wiped everything, but forgot to put the Rom on the external sdcard so it failed. I decided to just restore my backup, which seemed like it worked fine until I got:

Invalid Flash Mode (S) (Boot Failure)
0A.61

Battery OK
OK to Program
Transfer Mode:
USB COnnected

Invalid CG OTV (CG: webtop): Invalid SP Data
Invalid CG HAB (CG: webtop, status: 0x004E)
Invalid CG OTV (CG: webtop)

I know how to unbrick my phone. The question is why did restoring a backup brick my phone? I am on 5.9.901. This really makes me miss my D1, things were so easy then. I used to flash things and restore all the time.

I'm in this situation,
How can I unbrick my phone?
Paolo