why can i maintain a solid 3G signal but 4G drops?

Domestic violence

Reaction score
My 4G signal is pretty good. I live in Philadelphia but it drops the signal constantly. So much so that ive just left it on 3G because the service interruptions are so frequent on 4G.

Another problem is that- at some point during the night- the phone loses data completely and never reconnects. I leave the phone powered on and plugged into a charger.

Any ideas?

Ive updated the prl

dezymond

Tech Support Mod
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Google Pixel
could be a faulty radio. How long have you had this problem? Ever consider exchanging it?

OP
Domestic violence

Domestic violence

Reaction score
Its a brand new, in the box Asurion replacement.

The severity of the drop comes and goes. Some days its excellent. Other, not so much.

dezymond

Tech Support Mod
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Google Pixel
Well your PRL updates everytime you start up your phone, you aren't calling *228 are you? This process isn't necessary with 4g devices as the SIM card does it automatically.

If these drops continue for a week, I would consider calling Verizon or Asurion (not sure how Asurion works as I don't have insurance) and saying your phone constantly drops signal. Hopefully they'll replace it for ya, after all what good is a smartphone without any data connection

KidCuda

Reaction score
Are you in an extended coverage area? That means that you would just be getting the leftover signals from the main area, and 4G coverage is not 100% guaranteed. I'm in one, so at school I can get 2 bars of 4G outside, but if I enter any building it immediately switches to 3G. Basically no use having it on most of the time for me.

OP
Domestic violence

Domestic violence

Reaction score
no, not dialing *228. The reason im reluctant to complain is because this is a brand new phone. I dont want a CLNR.

Asurion literally sent me what would be purchased.... brand new w accessories.

Im hoping 4.0.5 helps, but im not too excited about it.

Ill call asurion tomorrow and see what they say. I thought perhaps trying a new SIM card from VZW first

bsweetness

Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 2 XL
It's a pretty widespread issue that a lot of Verizon Galaxy Nexus users have reported having. There's a long, stickied thread about reception issues. I get several drops a day while on LTE, even when I'm in an area with an incredibly strong LTE signal. 4.0.5 is rumored to address the issue, so I'm hoping that's the case.