Why are so many programs open?

cp24eva

Reaction score
While using a program that shows what other programs are open I noticed that many of the programs running are ones I never opened..... Ever. or simply programs that have been closed before. I find myself closing the programs and then moving on, but it seems to be eating up my memory. Any explanation? And should I be concerned? my phone isn't lagging.

Sent from my ADR6425LVW using Tapatalk

rubiksc00p

Reaction score
Somewhere on this amazing ball of creation!
It's just the way Android handles it's applications. They run in the background but use very little if any memory. If your phone isn't lagging, then there isn't a problem.

You don't need to worry about memory as much as your CPU so if you're worried about that, you can download an app called Watchdog. It monitors the CPU usage not ram usage.

This is like the task manager debate. Don't kill the apps that run in the background. Android will do that automatically and if you decide to do that with a task killer, you'll cause things to go haywire!

OP
C

cp24eva

Reaction score
Interesting. thanks for the info.

Sent from my ADR6425LVW using Tapatalk

AmandaEK

Reaction score
Uh oh. Haywire??? I downloaded Battery Dr Saver a few weeks ago and kill all tasks once or twice a day. Is this bad?? :blink:

BayouFlyFisher

Rescue Squad
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Android loads apps in ram, but unlike Windows, those apps are not actually running. They are not consuming cpu cycles and Android will remove them instantly if it needs more ram to run something you've requested. Auto killing them will just result in them or some other app being reloaded instantly back into ram.

Good luck.