Whoa, hold on...Moto USB cables only?

Dunc

Reaction score
WTF? Did I just read that? The Bionic can only be used with Motorola branded USB cables? 1st, how the hell does the phone tell if it's a moto cable or not? 2nd, that's complete crap as I refuse to pay the typical super high price for a short cable. Monoprice 10ft cable>moto overpriced+short cables.

Please tell me this is a joke....

Crazed_Z06

Reaction score
WTF? Did I just read that? The Bionic can only be used with Motorola branded USB cables? 1st, how the hell does the phone tell if it's a moto cable or not? 2nd, that's complete crap as I refuse to pay the typical super high price for a short cable. Monoprice 10ft cable>moto overpriced+short cables.

Calm down.

Some cables work, some dont. Mine works great with a Blackberry cable. I also use a 15ft belkin cable with a mini-usb to micro-usb converter that works fine.

On the other hand, I do have a couple Generic charger cables that seems not to work. It isnt a big deal.

ConqSoft

Reaction score
But, if it doesn't work, now you know why. So it's a CYA statement from them. If yours doesn't work, try a different one, or get a Motorola(tm) cable.

At least it brings to attention that all cables are not created equally.

Nyteravyn

Reaction score
Many manufacturers are using old USB 1cable, without informing the user, as a cheaper alternative ... this, though backwards compatible, will still cause issues... so if yours isnt working ... there may be your reasoning.

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using DroidForums

FunN4Lo

Reaction score
I have seen several complaints about USB cables. But I can use all kinds with no issues. I use several different monoprice cables and I can charge/transfer data on any of them. I use an old LG EnV charger as my travel charger.

Scribble

Reaction score
Yeah I think a lot of those "working as intended" things in the update list aren't actually that the error is as intended, there might still have been an error but that the error is not caused by a phone malfunction.

Infiniti87

Reaction score
For those of you using non-motorola cables, when you plug your Bionic into the computer will the computer read the Bionic? I've heard some people can only get the Bionic to charge with non-moto cables. I personally haven't plugged mine in to my computer yet but I use a 6ft USB cable I purchased from a local wholesale electronics shop for $3 that charges my Bionic just fine. I read someones post a few days ago about how moto cables for the Bionic have built in circuitry that allow a computer to detect the Bionic and not just charge it.

Sent from the rocket in my pocket, my all powerful DROID BIONIC.

solution

Reaction score

Lol just use the cable that came with your wall charger?

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Tapatalk

Cinoib

Reaction score
So far I have used only the short Motorola usb cable to the computer. However I have a few chargers from my palm pro that work fine. I even have an AT&T charger that works.

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using DroidForums

OP
Dunc

Dunc

Reaction score
Lol just use the cable that came with your wall charger?
The 3' cable? haha no way. If moto provides a 10' cable for monoprice pricing then I'd be happy. Would you be upset if your TV required you to purchased the Monster1000 HDMI cables? I would hope you because they suck for the price you'd pay.

tcayton49

Reaction score
The 3' cable? haha no way. If moto provides a 10' cable for monoprice pricing then I'd be happy. Would you be upset if your TV required you to purchased the Monster1000 HDMI cables? I would hope you because they suck for the price you'd pay.

Actually, it would be more like your tv requiring a power cord made by the tv manufacturer. Or a laptop requiring you to use a power cord made by the laptop manufacturer. Neither of those things are so crazy, and no one complains about them, so why complain about this? And its not like they're saying other cables definitely don't work, they're just saying they will only support the moto/verizon ones. If other ones don't work, its not their problem. Same as with power cords for pretty much any device.

IRSmurf

Reaction score
I transfer data and charge over the microUSB cable included with my Kindle (third gen).

Renae

Reaction score

Yeah it is shady that other cables won't work, however I've yet to take apart a cable and figure out how they do it. Don't really want to destroy a cable. I can charger from nonmoto cables, but not connect to my computer.

xcrider

Reaction score
Havent had any cable problems with my bionic. Even using a monoprice cable...

This is what were talking about right? ahha:icon_eek: