Who Keeps Up With Their Steps On Their Pedometer?

mountainbikermark

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
A new year,a time when many make a resolution to get into better physical shape. This year with the gaining popularity of wearable fitness tracking devices and smart watches we have a new motivator to keep going but are we going to use it?
What's your daily step goal? Are you reaching it on a regular basis?
Here's a place to share your goals, successes and frustrations using your new (or older) device.
My work day goal is 13k steps but my days off goal is only 5k and I'm actually having a much harder time with the days off one.

Support Our Troops !!!
<><
Beast Mode 4

bkdodger

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Note 10+
Great idea.. I was going strong with my UP 24....and I have a Garmin watch when I was running... And my 360 lol
Unfortunately knee issues slowed me down last 4 months... And work load as well..
So this year let's plan on taking that extra step and doing a little more... Every little helps..

Tap'd by Big 6

OP
mountainbikermark

mountainbikermark

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Great idea.. I was going strong with my UP 24....and I have a Garmin watch when I was running... And my 360 lol
Unfortunately knee issues slowed me down last 4 months... And work load as well..
So this year let's plan on taking that extra step and doing a little more... Every little helps..

Tap'd by Big 6
I was using a Nike hrm/watch when I was using my Nordictrac faithfully and used it for bike riding, walking, hiking etc so I was already used to wearing a "specialty watch" but having the built in pedometer is a really nice addition along with being able to change music tracks and stuff from the watch.

Support Our Troops !!!
<><
Beast Mode 4

OP
mountainbikermark

mountainbikermark

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
99fcb2df166a26506f42455c07032b5a.jpg

f7a0511ee4e8175b3ee8a4f975927e44.jpg

Most of that mileage has come since getting the Fit, when I was measuring from just the phone the steps I took at work and much of what I walked outside of work didn't get counted because my phone was not on or with me.
95 miles in about a month. That ain't bad. Yesterday I walked 16k+ steps at work and got over 12k for the work day and only worked 5 hours this morning.

Support Our Troops !!!
<><
Beast Mode 4

Jonny Kansas

Administrator
Staff member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Website
www.google.com
Current Phone Model
Pixel XL
Twitter
jonny_ks
My watch is way off on steps and my watch is almost always on me. I even grab it and toss it in my pocket when I get off the couch for a snack/etc.

With that said, I'm not sure I've ever hit the 10k goal that it was set to by default.

OP
mountainbikermark

mountainbikermark

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
When I tried tightening the band so it didn't move mine was missing quite a few of mine during the day. I loosened it 1 notch and it's back to accurate.
I'm up to over 250 miles, half a million steps since November 28 when I started tracking.
cf4ee71d7103006c0298dbb0e450a290.jpg

Support Our Troops !!!
<><
Beast Mode 4

OP
mountainbikermark

mountainbikermark

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
As long as my phone is in a holster it's pretty accurate but in my pocket, jacket, etc it can get way off.
The watches "see" wrist turns and other things done with the arms as steps. Put on or take off a jacket and it'll add a couple of steps.

Support Our Troops !!!
<><
Beast Mode 4

Jonny Kansas

Administrator
Staff member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Website
www.google.com
Current Phone Model
Pixel XL
Twitter
jonny_ks
I tested the watch a bit. Just sitting sty the kitchen table on my computer, I registered some steps. Given that I spend quite a bit of time at my desk on a computer at work, I'm thinking a wrist mounted pedo just isn't for me.

I've never fully tested the phone, but I gotta believe it's closer to accurate than the watch with this fact alone.

Sent from my Note 4 via Tapatalk

OP
mountainbikermark

mountainbikermark

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
When in assembling at work I put mine on pause. I don't know how easy it is to do that on yours but mine is set to double press the wake button and it wakes to the pedometer so it's no biggie on mine.

Support Our Troops !!!
<><
Beast Mode 4

94lt1

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Turbo 2
I found that most pedometers are way too inaccurate.. That said.. I consider it a bad day if I don't make at least 20k per day..
I too pause mine when I'm doing anything.. The way it doesn't take my arm motions as steps..

OP
mountainbikermark

mountainbikermark

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
I found that most pedometers are way too inaccurate.. That said.. I consider it a bad day if I don't make at least 20k per day..
I too pause mine when I'm doing anything.. The way it doesn't take my arm motions as steps..
I forgot to pause mine this morning before getting out of bed, thought about this thread so I checked my steps. It took me 15 steps to get out of bed. :( Getting older in cold weather sucks.

Support Our Troops !!!
<><
Beast Mode 4

94lt1

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Turbo 2
Hey.. I'm from Montana.. I know how it is.. We lived in an older house.. 2 floors.. One was a basement.. (underground) on cold days.. It takes a deep breath.. And courage to get moving lol

OP
mountainbikermark

mountainbikermark

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Here's where I did a walk to go pick up my car after it got its state inspection.
It was in a high traffic area so I had to walk faster than normal, had a few stops to wait for traffic at intersections then run across to avoid being run over. Right turn on red here in Virginia is very dangerous to pedestrians.
71485842d65fe0c43243f5e27dadc98b.jpg

8128a088ca27b3458c9adf01f2c38209.jpg

286710e0a6b09640a3e8c1515075718b.jpg

Wearing my size triple x down filled Seahawks coat I'll bet I looked like Frosty the blue snowman running across as I bumbled and stumbled in an attempt to sprint.

Support Our Troops !!!
<><
Beast Mode 4

Last edited: