White HTC screen after not locking bootloader

VidJunky

Reaction score
I know it was a bonehead thing to do, but I tried to do the update without locking the bootloader. Everything seemed to be working things were counting down and up as it seemed to be downloading and installing. When it was time to reboot it stopped at the HTC screen and that was it. I figured it needed some time so I allowed it to just sit for almost two hours, but nothing. Then I started combing through threads only to see that I was supposed to go back to the HTCdev site to lock the BL. Of course I can't do any of that now since I can't turn on USB disc drive or see anything on the phone at all. I found a few threads that talked about installing an updated version of Amon Ra, and I tried, but I don't think it worked or did anything. I have also tried to flash the image I received when I unlocked, as well as an updated version of that image. I could be doing it wrong. This is my first time with all of this. I keep seeing s-off being thrown around, but nothing I've tired with that has seemed to make a difference.

Just to clarify;
Cannot boot past the HTC screen
Can see the options if I power on with the vol rocker held down
Do seem to be able to see some kind of recovery (red words/options, wipe, restore, nand etc etc etc. None of it seems to work or do anything.)

If I'm boned, and it feels like I am, should I even give them back the phone or just buy a replacement? If it were broken, like physically broken would that make a difference? Just asking.

HowardZ

Reaction score
ok, hook computer to phone with USB cable.

type fastboot devices to see if computer can see your phone. it should display your phone's serial number.

lock the bootloader by typing

fastboot OEM lock

on xda forums you can find hansoon's all in one tool where things are menu driven instead of typing commands in a dos-like cmd Window

WardenWolf

Reaction score
You can unbrick it through Android System Recovery. My friend did. However, he had to re-run the intermediate (the ICS prep update) to get his phone stable again.

OP
VidJunky

VidJunky

Reaction score
That's for the replies. I got it working late the next day but haven't figured out how to remove the post. There's a whole step by step over on XDA.

trizzypballr

Reaction score
Can you please give me the link to XDA? I have this same issue and no clue how to fix it. Thank you

OP
VidJunky

VidJunky

Reaction score
You'll find it over here. There's only 5 or 6 and is simple. If you kept all your unlock stuff.

trizzypballr

Reaction score
Im not sure if I kept the files or not. I see I have HTC Sync installed on my computer, and SDK tools but thats all I see as far as the files.

I read threw that thread, but i felt like some of those guys were speaking a different language....

Last edited:

trizzypballr

Reaction score
Where do I type these things at? sorry im a little N00Bish...

ok, hook computer to phone with USB cable.

type fastboot devices to see if computer can see your phone. it should display your phone's serial number.

lock the bootloader by typing

fastboot OEM lock

on xda forums you can find hansoon's all in one tool where things are menu driven instead of typing commands in a dos-like cmd Window