Which Droid?

Steve H

Reaction score
I got my new Droid (Motorola) last Sunday. In the "deal" Verizon gave me a free HTC ERIS Droid. Seeing as I have never heard of HTC it is still in the box. Which do you have? What is the reason for your choice?

broosewee

Reaction score
Surprised you've never heard of HTC ...

The Eris is a very competent device, but I picked the Moto Droid simply because it has more going for it. Hardware, style, community, etc. Hype is a good thing when the product can back it up :)

stainedskin1982

Reaction score
If you dont plan on using that freebie, I have been looking for one. Id buy it off you if youre interested. I can afford a whole lot but if it was free anyway, its all profit right?

Mojo

Reaction score
The Moto Droid is the Daddy of all Android devices right now. HTC is a reputable brand too, but the Droid Eris runs Android 1.5 where as the Moto Droid runs Android 2.0. There are many hardware differences as well. But both are good devices. I have the Droid (moto) and I am and will be happy with this device for quite some time.

OP
Steve H

Steve H

Reaction score
If you dont plan on using that freebie, I have been looking for one. Id buy it off you if youre interested. I can afford a whole lot but if it was free anyway, its all profit right?

If my son doesn't take it I'm keeping it for my wife or as a spare phone. I already put my new Motorola in my jacket pocket that was full of snow..............

JFM-jr

Reaction score
I thought you needed to have the phone activated to get the freebie. I dont think they will hand you a phone to put in your pocket as a spare but if they do thats awesome. My wife and I got our phones the same day. She got the Moto and myself the Eris. After using each for a weekend and getting to fiddle with each I brought my Eris back for the Moto. One reason stated above is the Andrios OS being inferior on the Eris. The 1.5 does not allow for step by step voice navigation but that is supposedly in the works for an upgrade to 2.0(.1?) Also the screen resolution is better on the Moto, the Eris has had many battery compliants (more than the Moto's from what I have read here). The big hit on the Moto is it's size not as pocket friendly as the Eris. The Moto comes with the 16G card vs the Eris 8G and the processor is spec'd a bit slower than the Moto on the Eris tho I dont know if you'd notice.

Last edited:

hookbill

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Droid because I never heard of Eris like the OP. I would still have a Storm 2 if it wasn't for the fact that I was returning the S2 and store was crowded so I played with Droid on Display. I said I'll pass on the S2, Droid please.

dezymond

Tech Support Mod
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Google Pixel
Looked at the HTC TP2 for a bit then to the Droid. No regrets

JayMonster

Reaction score
HTC is a solid manufacturer that has been around for quite some time, but has up until not all that long ago made phones that got braded by Telcos... though you may not have heard of them... but if you have seen SmartPhones (particularly up until last year) WinMo phones, many were HTC.

That being said, the Eris is not in the same league as the Droid. Not in power, resolution, quality or any other standard... but that should be obvious by the price alone... and it is true.

The Droid is currently the best Android device on the market (and arguably I will say the best phone on market) right now.

But if you just want to make calls, and don't necessarily need the best, strongest phone and are just making phones calls and texting, then the Eris will suffice.