Which App is better: Waze vs Google Maps

pc747

Rescue Squad
Reaction score
frwmfoobvfiseuf2vy4x.jpg

I remember using Waze for the first time back when I had the OG Droid. It was touted as the app to find speed traps, but after experiencing it heat up my battery to the point you could smell the heat coming from it I felt like it was not for me.

Over the years Waze continued to grow and eventually was purchased by Google. But for me Google Maps was my bread and butter. It was owned by Google, the interface continually improved, and overall it was just the best map app for what I needed.

But this year I may have to do a double take. I found that for longer drives Google Map is key (or if you want a basic popular route) but where it lacks is city driving. I don't know how many times I grew frustrated with Google steering me right into a traffic jam. And that is where Waze come in.

For your daily commute back and forth Waze does a better job at showing you different routes and what to expect along those routes. Example is you may have a 40 mile highway route that would normally be fastest but currently is showing an accident at the tail end that will currently turn your 30 min commute into a lot longer. Where as along the street routes you are driving 55 miles through everyday street traffic and traffic lights but is showing that you could get home in 45 mins going that way.

To me being able to make a determination before I hit the road helps as well as being able to be alerted of alternate routes to take mid commute to steer around traffic. Yes Google Maps do that as well but Waze seems to do a better job making that information known earlier so you can make your move now to merge vs right when you are slowing down because of all the brake lights in front of you.

Where Waze lack is in overall looks. I feel like Google maps look cleaner and the satellite view helps for spotting where you are at and what you are looking for. But Waze will alert you of potential hazards along your commute.

Two different apps doing similar things owned by the same company. So which app do you prefer Waze or Google Maps?

dezymond

Tech Support Mod
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Google Pixel
I tried Waze a few times, but never really stuck with it. It's definitely a more interactive experience and is better at updating real-time traffic, but I never found it to show a significant difference in my commute compared to Google Maps.

So my go-to has been and still is, Google Maps. I do hope to see more Waze features integration in the next few updates with Google Maps though.

FoxKat

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Turbo 2 & Galaxy S7
I agree. I tried it a few times, but it seems to be less intuitive and requires more steps to get the same results. In the end, if a 30 minute trip with Google takes let's say 28 minutes with another app (Waze), it's just no big deal. Since most trips are 10-30 minutes in length for typical travel there just isn't enough variance in order to make it worth the extra interaction required.

Mustang02

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Nexus 6P/5X
Waze all the way. Maps is too bland. I've had Waze since it was released. Showing construction and other hazards before you map your route is huge! The mph they added about 6-8 months ago is helpful too. Way points. I think maps just got this but Waze has had it for years.

Oh there is construction, let me click a button and see what other routes, may take me longer but dont have it.
889b220b29ac69f8e16f5b12e5dda995.jpg

mountainbikermark

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
I haven't tried Waze but the last 2 times I used Maps it was woefully off. I ended up using Here to find where I needed to go. The new gentle voice of "turn here or there" was nice but she took me to places that were WAY off from my destinations.

Support Our Troops!!!
Beast Mode 4

<><

Efin

Diamond Member
Reaction score
I have Waze but like PC said it's lack of satellite view and being used to Maps has kept me on Maps.
I have been sent to places through maps that were so convoluted that I wondered if the phone had been left in a pool of beer before making the route. I will try Waze again, someday.

Sent from my SM-T550 using Tapatalk

Gudasau

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Moto Z-Force
I've been using Waze for a couple of years, three, I guess. I like it for it's community interaction. It's saved me a lot of time and headaches on my commutes by letting me know of upcoming traffic tu to accidents, road hazards, and sudden road closures. I no longer notice any major heat-up from my battery and the drain seems to be equivalent to Maps.
At one point, one of the downloadable voices was Morgan Freeman :cool: which absolutely rocked! Sadly, it's no longer an option, but the app still is the best for my driving needs.

Mustang02

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Nexus 6P/5X
I've been using Waze for a couple of years, three, I guess. I like it for it's community interaction. It's saved me a lot of time and headaches on my commutes by letting me know of upcoming traffic tu to accidents, road hazards, and sudden road closures. I no longer notice any major heat-up from my battery and the drain seems to be equivalent to Maps.
At one point, one of the downloadable voices was Morgan Freeman :cool: which absolutely rocked! Sadly, it's no longer an option, but the app still is the best for my driving needs.
I loved the Morgan freeman voice. I'd pay for it!!

Efin

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Just noticed that pictured map is my area... Why would you want to go to LA? ...

Rachael Alice

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Lenovo vibe k6
definitely there is no any doubt about Google maps is the best as compare to waze. it come with more functionality and more user friendly. in future if waze come with other extraordinary feature then people think about to use it.

JiveTurkee

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Samsung Galaxy S8+ (T-Mobile)
Google owns Waze.

Waze is more of a social media type app.

Google Maps is more straightforward.

I use Google Maps daily but I use Waze on longer trips.