Where's my Memory!!!

believingprism

Reaction score
So I have a Motorola A855 and as many of you may know it has about 260 mb of memory of phone space. I downloaded a bunch of apps and quickly used up all of that memory. So since i'm still a little nervous about rooting my phone so I can just move all my apps to my sd I have been deleting apps that i don't need and replacing apps that don't do apps2sd with ones that do. I've been doing this and I still don't have any more space. In fact i calculated it the other day and my apps are only taking about 90-110mbs of my phones internal memory. Can some one please tell me what's going on. Where is the other 150 mbs of memory. How can i delete an app that is 10 mbs and then have no extra space afterwords. Please help, thanks in advance.

z96Cobra

Reaction score
If you have a ton of texts, they eat a lot of space. Also, reboot!

hookbill

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Are you getting the "low memory" message? If not are you an ex Blackberry person who checks this on a regular basis?

If you're not getting the low memory message, don't worry about it. Droid does a great job of managing it's memory. And if you're using a task killer you can get rid of that as well.

Mbk

Android For Life
Premium Member
Theme Developer
Reaction score
Moving your ringtones and notifications folders to your sdcard/media/audio folder frees up a good amount ifs MBs.... have you done that?

OP
B

believingprism

Reaction score
Deleted texts maybe got 1 MB. I'm not an ex blackberry person but I do check my memory a lot. I tried to move notifications and ringtones using my file manager but it wouldn't let me, is there another way? No I don't have a low memory alert but I'm 4 MB away from when I usually do get one and my phone has been lagging a bit so I want more memory for more RAM too. Thanks everyone

Sent from my Droid using DroidForums App

Mbk

Android For Life
Premium Member
Theme Developer
Reaction score
Just use Terminal Emulator and type the following commands, make the spaces the same..but make sure you have the media/audio folder created on your sdcard

su
sys -rw
cp -r /system/media/audio/ringtones /sdcard/media/audio
rm -r /system/media/audio/ringtones

then do the same for the notifications folder...

su
sys -rw
cp -r /system/media/audio/notifications /sdcard/media/audio
rm -r /system/media/audio/notifications

takeshi

Silver Member
Reaction score
People frequently seem to forget that the space is also used by data (z96Cobra's post refers to one subset of data) and cache for your apps.

Droid does a great job of managing it's memory. And if you're using a task killer you can get rid of that as well.
These comments refer to the memory used to run apps, not the memory used to store apps (what the OP is referring to).

No I don't have a low memory alert but I'm 4 MB away from when I usually do get one and my phone has been lagging a bit so I want more memory for more RAM too.
You're talking apples and oranges. Deleting apps in and of itself will not affect lag. Unless you happen to delete an app that is causing or contributing to lag. RAM and user storage are two separate things. If you're experiencing lag then don't overlook what's using up your CPU.

OP
B

believingprism

Reaction score
Thanks for the emulator code, and yes I took data and cache into consideration when I calculated the storage used it says it with the app space itself in settings

P-Droid77

Reaction score
Try clearing your browser cache and history as well...

Mbk

Android For Life
Premium Member
Theme Developer
Reaction score
lmao.... one guys comments really cracked me up...:p:D...

@believingprism, I'm sure you already know what needs to be done now...;) best to ya..

OP
B

believingprism

Reaction score
Takeshi- I guess I know what you mean with your apples to oranges but when I have more internal storage I have more RAM there's seems to be a direct correlation.

Thanks everyone for your suggestions I have regained quite a bit of space but I still have used space that seems to be unaccounted for. Oh well I should be fine.

OP
B

believingprism

Reaction score
Just use Terminal Emulator and type the following commands, make the spaces the same..but make sure you have the media/audio folder created on your sdcard

su
sys -rw

su
sys -rw

It just keeps telling me su access denied

LifeIsABeach

Reaction score

su
sys -rw

su
sys -rw

It just keeps telling me su access denied

You need to be rooted to do this.