Where is google music stored?

darkmatter

Reaction score
Did a search, couldn't find the answer. I purchased some music via google music, went to the app and did "make available offline". Now, I assume that means its downloaded somewhere to my phone, but I've gone through all my folders and can't find it. And PlayerPro can't find it (my preferred music player). Google's music player is rather threadbare.

Sent from my DROID3 using Tapatalk

guidot

Developer Relations
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Unfortunately it is all saved on the sdcard as mp3s with no information about what song, it is only a number and stored behind about 10 levels of folder structure.

I had looked a long time ago, but that was on my d1. Any chance you looked on your sdcard and the internal memory?

Sent from my Safestrapped, Rooted, ROM'd XT862

OP
darkmatter

darkmatter

Reaction score
Yea, looked in both. I found files associated with the streaming cache, but still can't find the mp3s downloaded permanently. As much as I want to buy via google, if I can only play the music via google's player, no thanks. That's one of biggest reasons I don't use itunes. I usually get my mp3s from amazon, nice and easy to find and use my music.

Sent from my DROID3 using Tapatalk

kodiak799

Gold Member
Reaction score
Agreed about buying mp3's. Google Music would be a nice back-up service (though extremely slow to upload to), but I can't see how I could ever d/l my music back from it, other than one song at a time or maybe one album at a time.

rherron

Reaction score
I just "bought" (it was free) and "downloaded" a Pearl Jam show from earlier in the year. Seems to me -- in the extensive ten minutes I've messed with it -- that it doesn't download anything to your computer. It "downloads" to your account -- i.e. it allows you to stream the music from the web. I gather that's the whole point of it. You can have access to 20,000 songs but not have to store them locally.

Could be wrong.

I use a Firefox plugin called DownloadHelper. That let me DL a track to my PC in the literal sense. The song was .MPEG. Weird. But you could convert that to MP3 or whatever.

I am currently uploading my iTunes library of nearly 13,000 songs. It does about 150 per hour. At this pace it will take 3.5 days to upload them all.

If you don't have unlimited data (luckily I do), I don't see this as a good alternative to an iPod. I think it will be nice to have them available to me so that I can play them from work (on a PC). It keeps me from having to plug my iPod in at work to listen to my music in my office.

kevinkar

Reaction score
/mnt/sdcard/Android/data/com.google.android.music/cache/music