When will tiered data hit? Thoughts?

ldopa

Silver Member
Reaction score
I go through around 10gb of data a month (youtube, netflix etc..) I need my unlimited data. The reason being i dont have wifi at my apt

From my Liberated DROID2 at 1.25ghz

OP
Xerrus

Xerrus

Reaction score
I go through around 10gb of data a month (youtube, netflix etc..) I need my unlimited data. The reason being i dont have wifi at my apt

From my Liberated DROID2 at 1.25ghz

+1

Sent from my DROIDX using DroidForums

kodiak799

Gold Member
Reaction score
That would be nice. Unlimited 4g for 20 years. I like the sound of that. I realize Verizon has to respect our contract. I know my dad had T-Mobile for a long time on an old family plan and every time he called in they wanted him to upgrade but if he did he would lose 500 minutes so he never did.

Sent from my ADR6400L using DroidForums

Haha, I'd get that agreement in writing. It may be policy, but who would have a copy of that if they ever decided to change it willy nilly?

This is all much to do about nothing, anyway. If VZW wants to "stick it" to the customer, they can just make the lowest speed tier on the old "$30 unlimited" virtually unuseable (i.e. 3G speeds many get today, which would be awful after experiencing LTE).

TMO has a similar plan, and maybe a good chance VZW follows suit. All the tiers could be "unlimited", but what you'd be paying for is LTE speeds. In other words, for $30 you might get 2gigs of LTE and then unlimited "3G" speeds after. $40 might get you 5gigs of LTE, etc...

That said, maybe that's fine for anything other than tv/Netflix. Dual core browsing at 3G speeds might actually render at a pretty decent speed, assuming LTE is a more consistent 500kbps I seem to peak at on 3G these days.

Droid592

Reaction score
my wife just went back to an unlimited plan and i have the OLD 150 mb for $15 per month, does that mean that if i switch to an unlimited plan soon, then i will be grandfathered in and they cant screw me over?
Anyone that has a unlimited data plan will be grandfathered in for your commitment period. Contracts of 2 years will be held will unlimited plans unless a change of rate plan is made to the account from what i am getting.
So short answer yes.

Hey,

I have a friend who works at Verizon and he said when you sign up for a contract with Verizon (say 2years) you are actually locked in for a period of 20 years. After your two years is up, it goes to a month by month but they can't change any of your plan or the pricing for another 18 years. The only way you would lose whatever great deal or package you are on within the 2 years or the rest of the 18 years is if YOU would call and request a different package or an addition to your package. I thought it sounded odd, but I called Verizon (611) and 5 different reps confirmed what he said. You are on a 2 year contract, but after the end of your contract it is a month by month with everything staying the same for another 18 years.

This is true to a certain degree, there was one point in time like now actually example the family plan I have now is different from the family plans now (grandfathered) right now the primary line is going to be due for a upgrade here soon meaning (this is gonna get confusing) if the primary upgrades to a 4G phone verizons system will most likely prompt to change the plan because it is not compatible meaning verizon can change your plan if you want the phone. The plan drops to month to month sure but u can't upgrade and expect to keep that so no one really knows how its gonna work at the the end of the two year agreements. Of course the primary changing there plan would force the account lines to change their plans as well but as far as everything confirmed now you will be grandfathered in for two years if the system allows after two years then yes u will still be grandfathered with a upgrade.

Sent from my Droid using DroidForums

OP
Xerrus

Xerrus

Reaction score
Right. Its not like we'll always keep the unlimited 4G after the 2 years of unlimited, but who knows, maybe two years from now Verizon will decided that unlimited 4G IS the direction they want to go (hell maybe, 5G will be looming by then with the way tech goes)

kodiak799

Gold Member
Reaction score
Right. Its not like we'll always keep the unlimited 4G after the 2 years of unlimited, but who knows, maybe two years from now Verizon will decided that unlimited 4G IS the direction they want to go (hell maybe, 5G will be looming by then with the way tech goes)

There are actual physical limits to capacity, since retaining rights to put up towers is fairly tough - there's physical limits almost regardless of cost so not always a question of just putting up another tower.

Now there is supposedly some new tech coming that is like the size of a subwoofer and can basically be hidden or blended in with the architecture. Then we might finally have truly unlimited LTE for ISP replacement and the like. However, since that will kill the broadband providers and they ultimately supply the pipes, expect to pay an additional $50 for such service. Even then, broadband are starting to limit people (they always kind of have, but 250gigs was far more than anyone would use, at least before Netflix and torrents, but some are now scaling that limit back to 150gigs).