Motorola Turbo 2
N

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Tapatalk

Sajo

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 7 Pro
Not all USB-C headphones are compatible with all phones. I did some research last year and was looking to buy a set until I read that many of them are proprietary to the manufacturer that made them and will only work in their phones. So I stick to Bluetooth headphones and the USB-C dongle that came with the phone & wired headphones.

OP
SMYDSMITH

SMYDSMITH

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Motorola Turbo 2
Listening to I heart radio while I ponder who will answer the question What wired headphones do music and phone via usb dongle and compatible with Z2 force?

Does anyone the quest? Lol so I don't have to research something that I hope somebody has already found the answer And they can send links to products(s)

Sajo

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 7 Pro
Any wired headphones with a standard 3.5mm audio plug should work with the USB-C dongle. It's designed to work with any 3.5mm headphones.

jkaod

Gold Member
Reaction score
These bad boys should do the job. Might not want to crank the volume up too high though.

oOYM93b.jpg

Sajo

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 7 Pro
These bad boys should do the job. Might not want to crank the volume up too high though.

I think those will go all the way to 11!

OP
SMYDSMITH

SMYDSMITH

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Motorola Turbo 2
Any wired headphones with a standard 3.5mm audio plug should work with the USB-C dongle. It's designed to work with any 3.5mm headphones.

I am looking for a wired sterio jack with micophone that someone has tested with Z2 force to make a call

Reply with product name hereq

Sajo

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 7 Pro
As far as active forum users with a Z2 Force there are 5 that I know of. You, me, JKAOD, Pere Droid and Bruben. Since you, me and JKAOD don't use wired headphones with a mic, you might hear something from the other two. All of my calls are over Bluetooth (headset or car kit).

bruben7886

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Sorry dude.... Gone wireless

OP
SMYDSMITH

SMYDSMITH

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Motorola Turbo 2
I just spoke with Moto support and they are sending me a Moto branded USB to sterio jack dongle, that comes with phone, I lost mine, they say with that dongle any wired Moto earbud or headset will work for call,(going to order the $14 one) if after I test old headsets that are non Moto and continue to not work.

So far I've tested with non Moto dongle and Sony earbud, and usbc direct to earbud noname, non work with calls.

Let's see if end to end Moto works when I get the dongle. Kinda depressing that there are only 5 motoz2 force posters in the site? I sometimes see 1000s of reads in some articles about z2force, interesting..

Sajo

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 7 Pro
There are probably more than five Z2 Force owners that are Forum members. But there are only 5 active members that post regularly; that we know of.

I remembered that my backup wired headphones (the ones I keep in my backpack as travel backups) do have a mic. They are JBL Marshmallow 2 headphones, around $20 at Walmart. I plugged them in to the Moto dongle that came with my phone and made a call.....worked like a charm.

OP
SMYDSMITH

SMYDSMITH

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Motorola Turbo 2
I see jvc marhmellow headphones on Walmart and Amazon not jbl. Can you send url or link if they still are purchasable on the web.

Also don't you have the z force and not the the Z2 force

Articles I have read on Google say it worked until a certain update in Z2 force but can't find which one

The reason I am searching is for scenario
1) if you have Bluetooth headphones you have to disable Bluetooth during takeoff and landing as a passenger on a plane although I have heard some airlines are changing that rule. If you have wired you can listen to music during takeoff and landing to drown out engine noise. If you have Bluetooth and have to disable Bluetooth then that doesn't work(lol) . If I had wired with mic working then when airplane mode is off calls can be instantly made or recieved , without that you have to use the headset or switch to Bluetooth and turn Bluetooth in
2) I hate charging Bluetooth excerories so I avoid them and use them only when there is no other option , they need over the air charging anytime your say within ten feet of a charger ue your bedroom when you toss your blue tooth accessories on a table and not fumble with a cord. Apple has the right idea that I don't think has come out yet for a charging plate for earbuds, phone, watch but for Android you need me 3 separate Samsung or other brand qi2 charge plates or usbc or USB micro cords it's a mess of cords

Any ideas based on this additional info. Also waiting for replacement USB dongle from Moto to arrive and test and see if the the 3rd party dongle is the issue

Sajo

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 7 Pro
Sorry about that....yep they are JVC Marshmallow headphones. Not the greatest in the world, but they are decent as a backup pair; for the price.

And yes, I do now have a Z2 Force. Oreo killed my Z Force.

And yes, they do work for calls and music using the Moto USB-C to 3.5mm adapter. I just tried again this morning and calls worked fine. So I'm not sure what update some folks might be posting about somewhere, but wired headphones with a mic work fine on my Moto Z2 Force and also worked fine on my Moto Z Force....using the factory supplied Moto adapter.

Last edited:
OP
SMYDSMITH

SMYDSMITH

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Motorola Turbo 2
I have contacted Lenovo support and here is a paraphrase of the answers as well of other tests and other Products I've tried.

1) You can not buy Lenovo/Motorola replacement dongles from Lenovo/Motorola. They will just send you a new one via FedEx(at least in my case) for free I think you have to have registered your phone with Lenovo and I am not sure of the specific requirements but I registered mine. Lenovo I give you props and thanks for great support and customer service.

2) Lenovo did not specifically say that only their dongle will work with cell phone calls but in my tests "Every wired Cell Phone Headset' I tried worked with their dongle and none worked with 3rd party dongles which none that I tested work with the cell phone call piece but seem to work only with the other multimedia sounds ie music etc and not calls or notifications etc. I am not saying their isn't a 3rd party dongle that works or that Lenovo dongle is the only one that work, but in every single test I've tried that seems to be the case.

3) I asked them if they could post an official answer on their website for guidance on the questions I had and well as some recommendations for the Moto z3 force. They logged the question and if I get some answers I will post or link to the URL from this blogging chain I seem to have created.

4) I also went to Best Buy, Microcenter, Walgreens, Staples, CVS, Walmart and looked and various Bluetooth and non Bluetooth Headsets. I opted for
A) Bluetooth:
JLAB JBUDS PRO Bluetooth wireless
Best buy had them on sale
They work great but the battery life is listed for six hours while for instance the Sony brand I saw next to it was 8 and more expensive. I also looked at the expensive JLAB Products and they have one called an executive version that does Bluetooth and I think wired and or noise canceling and looked supper cool but I didn't need anything that extravagant.
I have not gotten The Google assistant to work with a dbl volume down press on the headset and I will be check with JLAB support next. Also the mic doesn't work great on Windy days but I think I did see some products at best buy that claims that they do work in noisy areas(cool but I also didn't try that)
B) Wired : Got one at microcenter and one at a mall random brands both worked with mororola/lenovo dongle neither worked with non Motorola/Lenovo dongle

I am not affiliated with any products or companies above and the opinion are my own. I do not claim any accuracy in case of anything incorrect above. But if anything is incorrect above please feel free to reply as I would like to know. How's that attempt at legalize(I am also not a lawyer) Lol

Cheers mates until my next post

Last edited: