When Froyo Finally Gets Here For The X, What can we expect?

smokecombs

Reaction score
There may be several threads about this, but I have a few questions of my own that any of you experienced smart phone owners or tech guys, if you wish, could answer for me.

First off, will Froyo, or can Froyo or any type of update or firmware improve the camera on the X? Would or could anything like that improve shutter speed, help with low light pics or the grainy effect we get when more than 5' away from our target? Could Froyo or any software update improve the FPS of the camcorder on the X to 30fps instead of 24?

Second, is it known if there will be any improvements in the speaker volume. I don't have a problem with this so much but a lot of people ask about it and really think it's a problem. Since they are experienced I assume the sound is sort of set to low at maximum volume so I wonder if Froyo will have anything in it that will help with that.

Third, Emulators. I love the new Playstation emulator. It's just a shame some of the higher end games, especially 3d fighting games run so slow. So, since Froyo does speed up the phone CPU (or whatever Froyo does), could it or will it speed up the Playstation emulator, maybe even make certain games work that won't load right now?

That's all the questions I personally wonder about, mainly because they are the 3 things I think could be improved by significant amounts on the phone. I love this phone, haven't put it down for weeks. My PC time on my desktop is cut in half with this phone, my Xbox360 time is non existant, and I have only went fishing twice since getting the phone (slight lol). If these few things could be improved I could see myself keeping this phone for years to come as long as it lasts.

Sorry if this subject has been done to death, well not really, but if any kind people, who have a GOOD idea of how this works, or how it's working on the first Droid have any answers or guesses, feel free to post. Just a noob to this smart phone stuff and don't have a clue really as to what Froyo does, other than speed up a phone in those speed tests on Youtube. What does it do for us consumers that we can see? Everyone seems so excited about it, or did, but I haven't saw where anyone has said they absolutely love the Froyo update although I haven't been on the net today much. Thanks for any help.

Last edited:

aminaked

Silver Member
Reaction score
I don't know about the stuff you mentioned, but here are things to look forward to:
1) much faster
2) animated gifs
3) flash support

Gimic26

Reaction score
I'll take a stab at answering those for you.

1: It is possible that Moto could improve the camera a bit but there are hardware limitations that really prevent any of the suggestions that you made.

2: Similar to my previous answer. I'm not sure how much louder they could make the speaker without it sounding harsh and breaking up.

3: Most likely not. As far as a little bit of a speed increase, yes you might see it in certain apps/games. As far as unsupported games it's entirely on the shoulder of the developer of the emulator to fix those issues. No update to the OS is going to make them work.

hookbill

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
If you look in the news section you will see what it does for the droid. Expect something similar. Little details like what you are talking about more then likely will not be addressed.

OP
S

smokecombs

Reaction score
THanks guys. I think the camera thing is first for me as I love the camera right now, not as much as my digital but just for my football games (I'm coach my son plays) taking pics and vids of practice and games comes in handy. Daytime stuff is great, late practice and games around dusk are not so great but still not terrible and way better than any phone I've had.

As for the games, the emulators, BUMMER. However the guys that make those emulators have done a wonderful job thus far and I'd say they will keep working on their emulators to function at better frames per second and code more games to work.

Good thoughts on the sound. I guess, like any small speaker, once your go up in volume too far it would be crackly and might, or definitely would eventually hurt the speaker. I just see that one mentioned a lot, the speaker complaint. The speaker on my X is probably the 2nd loudest I've had on a cell phone. I can't remember if my Omnia II was as loud or not. I only had the Omnia a week and traded it in for the X and man it's like going from a compact car to a corvette or something.

Appreciate the help fellas.

yellar

Reaction score
I would expect to hear rumors or maybe see actual products in development with the next version of android, gingerbread or whatever they call it. It seems like a long time to wait for this to me, especially if the droid 2 comes out around the middle to end of August and its suppose to be running the same kinda motoblur stuff as the droid x. I hope it gets out sooner since they have been pretty decent about sending out phones a few days before their predicted ship date. One thing for sure it wouldn't suprise me at all to see it get pushed back again.

cpinto

Reaction score
Well I updated my Droid 1 to 2.2 yesterday, and I don't really notice much different.

Added 2 screens, and seems to work a little better, but overall not a big difference.

Droid X arrived a few days ago.

richpjr

Reaction score
That was kind of my reaction too. My wife has a Droid and I installed 2.2 on it the night before last. It was nice, but really kind of underwhelming for all the hype it gets.