When do I use the system sbf and when do I use the full?

trook

Reaction score
Hey everyone, I jacked up my phone. I was running a rom and decided I wanted to try another based on the new baseband/kernel ota. I couldn't and still can't sbf on my computer due to... I have no clue, anyways I flashed back to my first nandroid backup and my phone decided to install the ota before I got a chance to unroot so I'm stuck with a phone that can't be rooted as all methods think its rooted, and no way to remove su because I'm not rooted..... I'm trying rsd lite on my other computer (currently downloading the 2.30.whatever full sbf file) my main question is: Do I NEED to flash the full sbf or will the system sbf be enough? Can someone please explain what the differences between the full and system sbf files and their different uses?

Sorry about the novel here but I've been working on this for hours now.

Ino209

Reaction score
I am in a similar situation after attempting to upgrade to 2.3.20, and am curious to see the result. Is this functionally a factory reset? Will the phone be rooted after this is done, or not?

Edit: Is there any easier way to make the phone realize it's not rooted?

OP
trook

trook

Reaction score
well I've wiped cache, data, and done a factory reset, nothing got rid of superuser, sometimes when I try to root it says successful, but its not rooted. It won't unroot either. I read the system sbf overwrites the system partition, full sbf restores system and data. But I don't know for sure which one I need and don't want to do any more damage. I've also been looking for some way to maybe fix the superuser permissions but I haven't came close to an answer. Also some people say to do a full sbf, some say full sbf is asking for disaster.....after sbf you will have to re-root. It will be like the first time you turned your phone on.

Last edited:
OP
trook

trook

Reaction score
OK, for anyone that cares, I flashed the 2.30.2 full sbf using rsd lite 4.8. It went through perfectly and I am re-rooted and running a new rom!!!dancedroid:heart::icon_ banana:

The instructions for the old sbf files and rsd 4.7+ patch are different. When 4.8 completed flashing it automatically forced a reboot, the M logo only appeared for a couple seconds. So trying to follow the instructions I powered cycled trying to get it stuck at the M but it wasn't gonna happen, so then I tried powering into stock recovery to clear data/factory reset and that wasn't gonna happen either. Every time I tried to clear data/reset it flashed the yes/no screen at me then went straight back into the main recovery page. So I booted into android and did a factory reset from there....It was all I could do. Then of course I got the blue triangle in my notification bar and a *228 took care of that. If I did something wrong can someone please let me know? thanks.