When charging, a ghost takes over my phone

Jradish

Reaction score
Hey all, Let me state that my phone charges fine while plugged into a wall with motorola adapter. The other day though my phone was dying and i wasnt at home, so my friend had one of those all-in-one car charger adapters that you could plug into wall. It had a peice that fit the droid so i plugged it in and walked away. Then I start hearing stuff and i find out it has been calling people on my contact list, then I just sit and watch it and it just randomly opens things up and almost bought an application. Even if i locked it, it would unlock itself lol, so I took it off the charger.

Now, since day one of having my droid I have noticed it charges much faster plugged into a wall other than a computer(i've tried with different computers). But ever since i plugged it into that car adapter it is really shaky and unresponsive. Like if i hold the notification bar halfway between up and down you can tell it shakes really bad and it seems like its taking longer to charge on the computer. It's kind of like what happened with the car charger just not as bad. And yes, the cord I use on my computer is the cord that came with the phone Plugged into the wall with the motorolla charger still works perfectly and fast though.

Anyone experience this or know what I can do?

Kerchak

Reaction score
I noticed my phone doing the shaky thing too when I plug it into my dad's computer at home. I also plug it in to my computer at work so I can listen to music and keep it charged and it doesn't shake at all. I'm assuming it has something to do with the type of computer that it's plugged into. My computer at work is a Dell and I'm not sure what the one at home is since I'm working right now :) As far as car chargers or universal chargers go, I've never used any so I don't know what to tell you there.

Can anyone else shine any light on this issue?

hookbill

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
This isn't the first post I've seen concerning this issue. My understanding of the problem is that those universal charges don't play well with Droid, and people have complained about the calling people on their contacts list. However I've never heard of it causing any further damage, such as this "shaky" thing that you describe.

Have you tried doing a battery pull and letting the capacitors discharge? Pull the battery for a full minute then put it back in the phone and give it a charge. See if this doesn't help.

Wendy

Reaction score
Others have had problems with off brand chargers causing their phones to act up, but I thought the issue cleared up when they went back to using a Motorola charger.

Does it act normal when you charge it with the Motorola charger plugged into a wall, as opposed to the computer?

christim

Super Moderator
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
I to have seen the posts. I'm pretty sure it only acts up when plugged into the non-standard charger. Like the DR says when you say "it hurts when I do this" ...don't do it if it acts up:)

OP
J

Jradish

Reaction score
i just tried pulling the battery for a minute, didnt help. The charger I use for the wall didnt come with the droid it was for another phone, maybe a razer, but i've never had problems with it. it says MOT-V8 on it. The charger that came with phone just does this when plugged into computer, not wall, but I just leave it in my computer all the time cause im lazy and dont use it for wall.

and yes it works fine when i use the charger that came with phone in the wall. So i'm guessing it is my computer fault, which recently ive noticed my laptop battery holds a 5 min charge these days and my laptop charger is on its last leg too.

Last edited:

r1nstang

Reaction score
I have a knockoff wall charger for the droid...it charges fine...but when I plug the droid in and try to do anything on it the touchscreen is out of whack and i can touch the bottom of the screen and the notification bar will drag down haha. hasnt done any harm to the phone...and its only on that charger when im in bed.

ernova2112

Reaction score
the same thing has happened to me....one late night my wife's phone was ringing..and she said it was my droid calling ...i ran downstairs to where i had the phone plugged in and found it calling random people on my contacts...at 3am....that sucks....it was plugged into an off-brand charger ....and ever since not using that charger ..it has not happened...the day before that incident..it was texting garbled messages to my sons cell..again in the early morn...Droid does not play well with other off-brand cheap chargers.....