What's your Suggestion?!

MaddHatter007

Reaction score
Advice...I'm looking for a smartphone. And with all the options out there I'm having a hard time deciding. I want to stray away from the all so glorious Iphone. I would prefer to stick to the Android OS because I feel like it has more options and you can do more with it (correct me if I'm wrong). I would like to find the top choices out there and the benefits and down falls of each phone. I would like to get the Galaxy Note but I've never had one and do not know anyone that has had one. From recent post and after reading several threads on here its easy to see that people here have a lot of advice to offer. Also I would like to know if a smartphone can perform the same task and offer the same opportunities if it doesn't have a network behind it. Let's say that you don't have AT&T or Verizon but if your smartphone gets rooted or jailbroke can you still use Wi-fi or other 3/4g cause I'm thinking that there is no point in having a smartphone plan if I don't have to have one, I'll just use a cheap phone and use the smartphone for other uses

OP
M

MaddHatter007

Reaction score
that didn't really help I mean it give me information but did not really answer my questions...but thanks for the insight.

mountainbikermark

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
My Incredible has been disconnected since December and I still use it frequently over WiFi. It's not rooted.
As far as a Note, it's big, it's bad, but it's it for you is a question only you can answer.
More info as to what you want it to do will help us help you go in the direction you seek.
If you want side by side comparisons look at Phonescoop, Cnet or other sites that specialize in that sort of comparison

Support Our Troops!!!
<>>
A Rezound phone was used for this Tapatalk post

Last edited:

FoxKat

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Turbo 2 & Galaxy S7
Advice...I'm looking for a smartphone. And with all the options out there I'm having a hard time deciding. I want to stray away from the all so glorious Iphone. I would prefer to stick to the Android OS because I feel like it has more options and you can do more with it (correct me if I'm wrong). I would like to find the top choices out there and the benefits and down falls of each phone. I would like to get the Galaxy Note but I've never had one and do not know anyone that has had one. From recent post and after reading several threads on here its easy to see that people here have a lot of advice to offer. Also I would like to know if a smartphone can perform the same task and offer the same opportunities if it doesn't have a network behind it. Let's say that you don't have AT&T or Verizon but if your smartphone gets rooted or jailbroke can you still use Wi-fi or other 3/4g cause I'm thinking that there is no point in having a smartphone plan if I don't have to have one, I'll just use a cheap phone and use the smartphone for other uses

As Mountainbiker mentioned, I too have two old phones, the OG Droid and D2, and both have no phone service but still perform all functions including texting (via TextFree), and phone calls (via Skype, or Google Voice), so as long as you have a WIFI connection, there's basically nothing a smartphone can't do without cellular service. My D2 is now my son's Game Phone, and my OGD is a glorified WIFI remote control for my AV Receiver and FIOS TV. I also use the OGD for email and texting at times, since it has the keyboard, though I have gotten very comfortable using Swype and TouchPal, and also Google Voice to Text Translation - which I do often to reply to texts and emails while driving...texting hands-free, so to speak.

You are correct as to having far more choices/customization with the Android OS, though there are certainly more apps with Apple. Even still, they are being ported over to Android daily and the selection in the Play Store (Google's answer to the Apple App Store), are mind boggling. Although you don't need to be rooted or "jailbroken" (a term used for Apple's iOS), rooting your Android phone opens up the universe of customization, including custom ROMs, Themes, Apps that do things only while rooted, etc. There's essentially nothing that can't be done in programming with an Android phone that's been rooted, including installing custom Kernels (except with Android phones that have locked Bootloaders).

As for phones, I have a Droid RAZR MAXX (Motorola), and my wife has the Droid RAZR (also Motorola). Both are spectacular phones, but the battery life on the MAXX is beyond exceptional when compared to virtually any other smart phone. Even though the RAZRs have locked Bootloaders, and so installing custom Kernels is (at least for the moment) out of the question, you can still install a wide variety of ROMs that run on the Motorola Kernel and do some amazing things. My MAXX is rooted, but the wife's RAZR is not. Still, she has a custom launcher (home page and apps manager), and has her phone pretty tricked out even without rooting. In fact, there is quite a large percentage of users who feel rooting is no longer necessary to get to the level of customization they desire, since there are so many themes and launchers out there that run on fully locked down phones.

As was said, what you intend to do with the phone, how you will use it will pretty much narrow the selection of phones down to a very few, and quite possibly to one or two. Think of what you are going to use it for daily, not just during extreme sessions but day to day use as well. One thing is for sure, Motorola radios (Cellular, 3G, 4G, WIFI, Bluetooth), are second to none so if you are in a fringe area for service, that could be an overriding factor for you. There will be some who say this is not accurate but those people are generally in areas where coverage is strong. There is plenty of evidence that Motorola phones perform better, make calls more consistently and hold the calls longer without drops than other manufacturers' in certain situations. YRMV.

OP
M

MaddHatter007

Reaction score
Wow, haha couldn't have asked for a better response. Mainly the Hacking, to be blunt. I'm not very good at it. I'm starting from the basics, due to a future job opportunity that has opened up. One of the requirements is to be able to Hack on the fly. So it wold be nice to find a Phone that can perform these abilities without failure (also based on the hackers skills). So I guess, I would be looking for a larger processor and ROM/RAM, ect. that's why my initial choice was going to be the galaxy note...because the qualities leaned more to a tablet with phone capabilities, I figures that the components would be more along the lines of a PC or at least a tablet. And since we are talking about it, can a Note be rooted I know the XOOM can be but can the Note (I know there's a form out there probably directed on whether or not the Note can be/how to root it, but since I'm here and talking about it.). I apologize if the thread is annoying to some and if it is then ignore. Again thanks for everyone's input, it has helped immensely and is very much appreciated!

dezymond

Tech Support Mod
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Google Pixel
MaddHatter007 said:
Wow, haha couldn't have asked for a better response. Mainly the Hacking, to be blunt. I'm not very good at it. I'm starting from the basics, due to a future job opportunity that has opened up. One of the requirements is to be able to Hack on the fly. So it wold be nice to find a Phone that can perform these abilities without failure (also based on the hackers skills). So I guess, I would be looking for a larger processor and ROM/RAM, ect. that's why my initial choice was going to be the galaxy note...because the qualities leaned more to a tablet with phone capabilities, I figures that the components would be more along the lines of a PC or at least a tablet. And since we are talking about it, can a Note be rooted I know the XOOM can be but can the Note (I know there's a form out there probably directed on whether or not the Note can be/how to root it, but since I'm here and talking about it.). I apologize if the thread is annoying to some and if it is then ignore. Again thanks for everyone's input, it has helped immensely and is very much appreciated!

As far as I know, every android device can and has been rooted, heck sometimes even before the official release like the Nexus.

And don't feel you are being a nuisance, we're here to help

FoxKat

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Turbo 2 & Galaxy S7
My sentiments exactly ^^ :)

The Note is a VERY nice device...I wish I could afford one now. It will give you everything you are asking for in customization.

OP
M

MaddHatter007

Reaction score
Dezymond, I agree with you to a extent. the 4.5.621 droid x update has yet to be rooted and it has a block on it to keep it from getting flashed or some type security measure. BUT, if you know a way to flash or root the 4.5.621 version then please let me in on the secret. That one-click rooting process hasnt worked on mine it just keeps popping up as error

dezymond

Tech Support Mod
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Google Pixel
Dezymond, I agree with you to a extent. the 4.5.621 droid x update has yet to be rooted and it has a block on it to keep it from getting flashed or some type security measure. BUT, if you know a way to flash or root the 4.5.621 version then please let me in on the secret. That one-click rooting process hasnt worked on mine it just keeps popping up as error
Droid X is 2 generations behind at this point I believe? I wouldn't be surprised if support for it has stopped.

I do know there is a way through SBF. Think I found it right here as I was typing: 6.21 Rootable SBF Apparently Found! - Droid X - RootzWiki

npro1464

Reaction score
Get the GS3. The Note is too big, IMO. If you care to wait, wait for the Nexus(es) to come out. Nexus phones have terrific support from the development community and directly from Google. In short, your phone will never get old.