What's Up With All the UNBOXING Videos?

mikespe

Reaction score
Maybe it's just me but do you think it has become a weird trend that people are filming themselves taking phones, tablets, etc out of the box? Does anyone really care about this when looking for a review of a product? I would rather someone spend some time playing with a device, learning about it...THEN filming a good quality review including their opinion. These first impression videos just seem like a waste of time to me...

KOBALT

Reaction score
I like to see the phones taken out slowly. Under candle light. And then spit on.

Sent from my Rezound

dezymond

Tech Support Mod
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Google Pixel
Uhhhh kinda an offtopic subject....

If you don't like the unboxing videos don't click them. If you don't like that part of the video reviews, skip it. Simple

blackmagick20

Reaction score
Maybe it's just me but do you think it has become a weird trend that people are filming themselves taking phones, tablets, etc out of the box? Does anyone really care about this when looking for a review of a product? I would rather someone spend some time playing with a device, learning about it...THEN filming a good quality review including their opinion. These first impression videos just seem like a waste of time to me...

I completely 100% agree with you. There is absolutely no need for unboxing videos.

Sent from my DROID3 using DroidForums

OP
M

mikespe

Reaction score
Uhhhh kinda an offtopic subject....

If you don't like the unboxing videos don't click them. If you don't like that part of the video reviews, skip it. Simple

Maybe explaining their purpose might be more useful than this reply....

syndicate0017

Silver Member
Reaction score
The unboxing videos (at least imo) show you all the accessories it comes with and you even get a little preview on the design, build, and functionality of the phone. Sure, you could probably get all that information from reading a list, but I'd rather see it in a video than read about what "should" come with it or what it "should" look like.

blackmagick20

Reaction score
The unboxing videos (at least imo) show you all the accessories it comes with and you even get a little preview on the design, build, and functionality of the phone. Sure, you could probably get all that information from reading a list, but I'd rather see it in a video than read about what "should" come with it or what it "should" look like.

But...you know weeks or even months long before that what it looks like. Also...unless you are buying a cell phone for the first time, you know exactly what it comes with. I guess I just don't care about seeing someone take something out of the box less than a day before I can find out myself. To me...that's the same as when I was still a kid, having someone unwrap my own Xmas presents in a video shown to me. I guess I might as well start recording unboxing videos of my new Xbox games...

syndicate0017

Silver Member
Reaction score
But...you know weeks or even months long before that what it looks like. Also...unless you are buying a cell phone for the first time, you know exactly what it comes with. I guess I just don't care about seeing someone take something out of the box less than a day before I can find out myself. To me...that's the same as when I was still a kid, having someone unwrap my own Xmas presents in a video shown to me. I guess I might as well start recording unboxing videos of my new Xbox games...

Not necessarily. I know it's really a small thing (and really only 1 example), but until the 1st unboxing videos of the galaxy nexus in the UK, a lot of people had seen pictures of a Nexus with a much steeper curve. And it's just kind of I guess "ceremonious". Most of the unboxing videos are only for phones with an incredible amount of hype surrounding them.

Do they really bring anything new or useful to the table? Not really, but I don't have an issue with them at all. In fact, if I'm really interested in a phone, I'll definitely check out the unboxing. It's just exciting to see something (not just a picture) that you've been waiting for.

blackmagick20

Reaction score
Not necessarily. I know it's really a small thing (and really only 1 example), but until the 1st unboxing videos of the galaxy nexus in the UK, a lot of people had seen pictures of a Nexus with a much steeper curve. And it's just kind of I guess "ceremonious". Most of the unboxing videos are only for phones with an incredible amount of hype surrounding them.

Do they really bring anything new or useful to the table? Not really, but I don't have an issue with them at all. In fact, if I'm really interested in a phone, I'll definitely check out the unboxing. It's just exciting to see something (not just a picture) that you've been waiting for.

Well...I reckon...to each their own. If I'm really interested in a phone, I would just much rather discover everything on my own and not have it ruined for me by someone else showing it to me

OP
M

mikespe

Reaction score

So how does an unboxing video do this better than a QUALITY REVIEW?

tjk629

Silver Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
NEXUS 6
Think of it like an appetizer to a main course.

Some people like seeing a quick glance of a phone when it first comes out.

blackmagick20

Reaction score
Think of it like an appetizer to a main course.

Some people like seeing a quick glance of a phone when it first comes out.

So...I want to see a video of someone else's hands all over my food before I eat it? That sounds unsanitary

tjk629

Silver Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
NEXUS 6
So...I want to see a video of someone else's hands all over my food before I eat it? That sounds unsanitary

I don't know. Body Sushi is all the rage.

syndicate0017

Silver Member
Reaction score

Not the same thing...you aren't going to use that phone they have. You're just WAY overthinking this. If you don't want to watch the videos or think them pointless, fine. Nobody here is going to be able to convince you otherwise.