whats the word on updates?

windstrings

Reaction score
Does anyone know if the phone will work receiving updates?
I've heard some of the Blackberry devices do so I assume we are no longer limited by the network if that's true.

It will certainly be nice if we can do it ourselves rather than have to go to the Verizon store to get a firmware update.

settings ---> about phone----> system updates

does anybody know?.. tell me yes? :icon_ banana:

Droider

Reaction score
I'm a previous G1 user and for T-mobile, Android updates are developed in cooperation with Google, the carrier and the handset manufacturer and then are pushed out by the carrier. You then get a notification on your phone and have the option to update or not.

Stigy

Reaction score
FYI...

The Menu > About > System Updates will not FORCE your phone to get the update once they start being rolled out.

The only time that menu is used is if you decline to the update when you are notified. After you decline (for whatever reason) you can go to that menu and then immediately download the update.

OP
windstrings

windstrings

Reaction score
Very cool!... thanks guys!.. I've never gotten that magic notice before with my Dare or my prior phone even though it had an update option.

However there were updates that came along "firmware" and it still said I was up to date and so had to go to the store to laplink the update into my phone "or however they do it".

boatman

Reaction score
If you are a BB corporate user, the people preventing you from over the air updates are not Verizon but your BES server system admin. If they allow over the air updates on the BES server you will be able to download them without going into the store...(I would recommend however throwing away your BB and picking up the Droid...lol.)