What's the touchpad/trackpad like?

deadlinguo

Reaction score
Those of you who've had a chance to play with the Incredible, how do you like the trackpad it's got?

One thing I loved about the Nexus One was the fact that it had a trackball. What this means is that when you're browsing and using the trackball to select a tiny link, you can just keep rolling the ball and the selection will keep moving as you roll it. I don't have to take my finger off the ball.

On my Winmo phone with a trackpad, every time I slide my finger over the selected link moves over once, which is annoying because that means I need to slide over the trackpad several times in order to get to a link in the middle of the page.

If this doesn't make sense, what I mean is:
Let's say there are five hyperlinks on a webpage, left to right.
To get from the first to the second, on the N1 you just put your finger on the trackball and roll it to the right a little bit. To get from the first to fifth, you roll it to the right farther. You never have to pick up your finger and place it back on the left side of the trackball.
With the crappy trackpad I hate, to get from first to second, I slide my finger over the trackpad once. To get from first to fifth, I have to slide my finger over the trackpad four times, from left to right, and I need to pick my finger up and place it back at the beginning each time. Annoying.

On the Incredible, is it more like the Nexus One's trackball or is it more the style I don't like? Believe it or not my decision to switch from my Droid to the Incredible is almost completely dependent on this.

GodDriven

Reaction score
Those of you who've had a chance to play with the Incredible, how do you like the trackpad it's got?

One thing I loved about the Nexus One was the fact that it had a trackball. What this means is that when you're browsing and using the trackball to select a tiny link, you can just keep rolling the ball and the selection will keep moving as you roll it. I don't have to take my finger off the ball.

On my Winmo phone with a trackpad, every time I slide my finger over the selected link moves over once, which is annoying because that means I need to slide over the trackpad several times in order to get to a link in the middle of the page.

If this doesn't make sense, what I mean is:
Let's say there are five hyperlinks on a webpage, left to right.
To get from the first to the second, on the N1 you just put your finger on the trackball and roll it to the right a little bit. To get from the first to fifth, you roll it to the right farther. You never have to pick up your finger and place it back on the left side of the trackball.
With the crappy trackpad I hate, to get from first to second, I slide my finger over the trackpad once. To get from first to fifth, I have to slide my finger over the trackpad four times, from left to right, and I need to pick my finger up and place it back at the beginning each time. Annoying.

On the Incredible, is it more like the Nexus One's trackball or is it more the style I don't like? Believe it or not my decision to switch from my Droid to the Incredible is almost completely dependent on this.

Watch my video.. I love it..

OP
D

deadlinguo

Reaction score

I watched the video, thanks.

I think I saw on your video that you were able to slide over the trackpad once and then the selection box jumped two positions. Is that how it is? I couldn't tell exactly.

Is it more slide once to move one spot, or is it like slide less to move less, slide more to move more?

GodDriven

Reaction score

I watched the video, thanks.

I think I saw on your video that you were able to slide over the trackpad once and then the selection box jumped two positions. Is that how it is? I couldn't tell exactly.

Is it more slide once to move one spot, or is it like slide less to move less, slide more to move more?

If you own a mac.. you would know gestures.. slow movement one box.. fast two.. swipe 3-forward.. It also presses down like the trackball.. but it stays clean since it's solid steel on top and etc.. It is very nice to be honest.. It feels like you slide across the glass.. Like nothings theres.. but you see the screen move and then you learn the movements per say.. It ssome what like the Magic mouse.. If you know about that.. It is a diff feel than the track i will admit that highly.. nothing moves.. rolls.. etc.. like i said, like slifding your finger across the glass. :icon_ banana:

push feature is much softer than the trackball or d-pad.. its like a soft click, hard of course at first since it's new.. but today as my second day, its a lil softer, not much, but you see the difference.. It is much lighter than the Nexus.. Its well balanced and well put..

Overall, it's just great.. its small as you see.. Very small.. It looks compact even.. Like the screen is almost like the hd2 ND evo.. They just left space for the optics.. I personally like it this way.. Yeah front camera sshmamera thats bout it.. This wins by having 800MB of ram, and they allow 748 to be used.. I see they market 512/576.. Well.. device memory clearly states otherwise.. Right now I have 638 left.. So.. Yeah.. Thats what i said too..

Next the internal mounts together with the sd, so when you mount you get two disks on your desktop.. Nice.. the device memory is well put already for you.. your DCIM (picture etc..) and MP3 dedicated folders are there and a ish load of more space.. mixed in in its own self.. Nice ++1..

Hope that helped more.. Thanks..

CatsTide

Reaction score
hey goddriven...is there a cursor on the screen that you move with the trackpad?

GodDriven

Reaction score
hey goddriven...is there a cursor on the screen that you move with the trackpad?

Dude.. i love your cat..

Anyways.. yeah.. the optical does move the cursor.. If you go to xda, the nexus thread, go to apps and themes.. Find jonasi, he has the hack for this keyboard that installs and you choose like any other..