What's the difference between charging while plugged in compute, as to wall charger?

aarong03

Reaction score
I sometimes hook my Maxx up to my computer to charge it at work. Well I've noticed that when I let it charge up to 100%, then unhook it. The battery takes a lot longer to come off 100%. When I charge it using the wall charger, as soon as it reaches 100% I unhook it. Right after the plug is unhooked it drops to 99%. Why is that? Not that I'm worried, but just thought it was odd it does this.

cbreze

Reaction score
I think it may have to do with the speed of the charge. USB charging is more like a trickle charge while the wall charger is a faster charge. FWIW, I've noticed the same thing.
Edit: my car charger is the fastest of all my charging methods and consequently the discharge rate seems faster to me.

Last edited:

captkkk

Reaction score
USB on computer using 0.5A
Wall charger is about 0.75A or 0.85A

Sent from my RAZR Maxx using Droid Forums

Beckeramos

Reaction score
aarong03 said:
I sometimes hook my Maxx up to my computer to charge it at work. Well I've noticed that when I let it charge up to 100%, then unhook it. The battery takes a lot longer to come off 100%. When I charge it using the wall charger, as soon as it reaches 100% I unhook it. Right after the plug is unhooked it drops to 99%. Why is that? Not that I'm worried, but just thought it was odd it does this.

Hopefully this link helps you. Go 5 posts down and read foxkats reply...

http://www.droidforums.net/forum/droid-razr/214390-battery-life-horrible-2.html

kevins686

Reaction score
Here's the difference for me: I charged overnght via USB, the first time I've done this with this phone. And today, almost 7 hours after I unplugged this morning, I'm still showing 100% on my battery.

OP
aarong03

aarong03

Reaction score
kevins686 said:
Here's the difference for me: I charged overnght via USB, the first time I've done this with this phone. And today, almost 7 hours after I unplugged this morning, I'm still showing 100% on my battery.
Exactly. That's what mine will do.

OP
aarong03

aarong03

Reaction score
kevins686 said:
Aside from the initial drop from 100%, have you noticed whether your battery lasts longer overall when you charge it via USB?

Going try that starting this afternoon. I will advise later this week.