What's the best way to transfer from an S5 to my new S7?

RJLOMMD

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Samsung GALAXY S7 Edge
I have ordered my Galaxy S7 Edge to upgrade from my S5. What is the best way for me to transfer my apps and, perhaps more important, how do I best transfer the data such as documents, photos,WhatsAPP chat logs, groups, etc.

I have most of the data on my SD card and I've gotten a 128GB micro-SD for the S7. Would I be best advised to format the card in the S7 and then, using my PC copy the files and folders to the card from the old one?

Will Samsung's "Smart Switch" work for transferring what is on the internal memory? I understand that when I sign on to Google on the new phone, the "Android Market" [just can't get used to calling it the "Play Store"] will install the apps I've downloaded.

I would appreciate any suggestions and help in making this upgrade/transfer as easy and complete as possible.

Thank you!

Miller6386

Developer
Developer
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Note 8
Twitter
CoreyFMiller
I'm a fan of transferring via PC. I back up my files and folders once a month or so to my PC so it's pretty easy to transfer everything to a new card or phone.

I think since you are changing phones and cards doing it via a PC will be easiest.

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

wcjeep

Reaction score
I'm going to try the Samsung Smart Switch for my S5 to S7 upgrade. I think the S7 already has the Smart Switch installed.

jackiescivic

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Smart Switch will copy your contacts, photos, settings, apps, text messages, photos, videos, calendar, notes, and I think a couple other things I can't remember at the moment. It will absolutely allow you to transfer from the SD card, but it will be putting it onto the internal storage of the new phone, not the new SD card.

Sent from my SM-G925V using Tapatalk

OP
RJLOMMD

RJLOMMD

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Samsung GALAXY S7 Edge
Thank you for your replies and suggestions. Jackie, if I understand you correctly, Smart Switch will work but it puts everything onto the internal memory. So, if I remove the SD cards, run the Smart Switch such that the S5 internal memory is transferred to the S7 internal memory, and then use my PC to copy the data, photos, files, etc. from the old card to the new (larger) card I should be okay, right?

Bluesman2008

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Samsung GS5
When transferring, my question is - will it transfer data. I'm not concerned with apps which I can always reinstall. But I'm concerned with transferring data...for example, text files I created with a notepad app.

OP
RJLOMMD

RJLOMMD

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Samsung GALAXY S7 Edge
Yes, the use of Smart Switch did transfer my data--files, etc. that were in the INTERNAL storage. It even did a nice job of keeping my wallpapers (home & lock screens).
Just remember that it's probably best to run Smart Switch with your SD Card removed because otherwise what is on the card will be put into the internal memory. If, like me you are going to use a larger SD Card, use your PC to copy & paste. Should work out fine.

Abby Normal

Reaction score
Try locked and found app. That's what the geek squad used to transfer all my data to my new edge

aishiteru

Banned
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Samsung Galaxy S6
The best way to transfer data from an S5 to your new S7 is using pro phone transfer program. After connecting both of them to computer via usb cables, the program will help you scan out all data and allows you to transfer between them.

Last edited: