What's an alternative to using a task killer?

dc.flash.333

Reaction score
I keep reading that task killers do more harm than good, to your phone. I am currently using go launcher ex, which shows all the programs that are currently being used and a one click option to close all of the apps that are running and not locked, and I use this option daily when my memory being used gets to less than 50.

With that being said I have 2 questions:

1. When closing apps as I stated above, is that considered using a task killer?

2. Is there another way to free up the memory without using a task killer, or doing what I stated above?

Thanks in advance!

Sent from my DROID2 using DroidForums

patmw123

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Nexus 6
I would just let android run as it is supposed to...which is without killing apps and services. There is no need to kill apps seeing as the android os is built to handle multiple tasks...and kill them accordingly on its own. Just let your phone do its thing. It'll perform great.

spaz33g

Rescue Squad
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
also, use the back button instead of the home button when you are finished with an app. you may do that already, but it let's the system know you are finished with an app and it will close it accordingly in it's own time.

patmw123

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Nexus 6
One piece of advice though is that the back arrow softkey will close an application rather than keep it open. If your using a memory intensive app like a game then exit it by pressing the back arrow rather than hitting the home key. Using the home key keeps the application open while using the back key closes it. Hope this helps.

Last edited:

Scallywag1

Reaction score
I would just let android run as it is supposed to...which is without killing apps and services. There is no need to kill apps seeing as the android os is built to handle multiple tasks...and kill them accordingly on its own. Just let your phone do its thing. It'll perform great.

Agreed. If your looking to improve battery search for imoseyon's batt tweaks or google search him. For tbolt, x and d2

Sent from my Liberty GB DX

Droid annoymous

Reaction score

Isnt juice defender or powermax alternatives?

Swyped from the best phone in verizon's line up.

Last edited:

hookbill

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
the alternative is do nothing. Android is smart enough to manage it's own memory.

If you're constantly worried about apps running, memory space, etc. then what you need to do is change the way you think. You're probably coming from a Blackberry, and if I'm right you have trained yourself to look for problems caused by apps running in the back. Stop worrying about that stuff and enjoy your Drpod/

xan

Reaction score
droids release memory as they need it.

contrary to popular belief, (and unlike a PC) it actually saves battery and speeds things up to have the apps stay suspended in system memory till they get bumped out for another app that needs the memory.

OP
dc.flash.333

dc.flash.333

Reaction score

Sometimes the phone gets a little sluggish and every time it does I notice there is less than 100mb of ram available, but I will try not killing these apps with go launcher. I actually just switched to ZEAM launcher, so it should be easy for me to avoid killing apps.

Thanks for your help.

OP
dc.flash.333

dc.flash.333

Reaction score
One piece of advice though is that the back arrow softkey will close an application rather than keep it open. If your using a memory intensive app like a game then exit it by pressing the back arrow rather than hitting the home key. Using the home key keeps the application open while using the back key closes it. Hope this helps.

I think I do hit the home button a lot to back out of a program. I will try to avoid that and use the back key instead.

Thanks!

OP
dc.flash.333

dc.flash.333

Reaction score
the alternative is do nothing. Android is smart enough to manage it's own memory.

If you're constantly worried about apps running, memory space, etc. then what you need to do is change the way you think. You're probably coming from a Blackberry, and if I'm right you have trained yourself to look for problems caused by apps running in the back. Stop worrying about that stuff and enjoy your Drpod/

I am actually a newbie to smartphones. I got this droid to a couple months ago. I think its my OCD that keeps me from from letting all thes programs run in the background :), but with this newly installed ZEAM launcher I can't see what programs are being used as easily.

Thanks for the help!

OP
dc.flash.333

dc.flash.333

Reaction score
I have another question...

Oh btw, I forgot to mention that my phone is rooted and I noticed that liberty toolbox has a setting that u can tell it to keep a min amount of ram free, e.g., 25mb , 50mb, 75mb, and so on.

I checked my phone and the default setting is to let it get to 36mb of ram before the phone starts killing apps running in the background.

Finally, my question... should I keep default setting?
Because I am thinking of changing it to 75mb or 100mb.

ldopa

Silver Member
Reaction score
From what I read, doing that is only if you know what you're doing. I think the recommended setting is 25mb. That has worked fine for me. Why do you want to do this?
You could also root and flash liberty. I always have a lot of free memory because there isn't any unwanted crap running. Only the apps I want

Sent from my Liberated DROID2. Support team Liberty!

Last edited: