what the hell is wrong with my battery?

AHB900

Reaction score
Hey guys, i know there's a few battery threads already, but I kinda wanted one directly aimed at me. Now why is my battery draining so fast? I have my GPS and WIFI off its running off 3g. I have alot of apps, but there seems to be only 2 programs running in the background IM+ and weather bug. Now I pretty much am forced to charge my phone twice a day. I charged it 100% last night and didnt use it much I woke up it was at 60% battery left (according to my battery monitor.) I thought this thing was supose to have amazing battery. From what it seems like the iphones everybody has have much much better battery life including my ipod touch which I use just as much as my droid if not more and i charge once every 3-4 days.

Let me know guys do i have a defective battery?

Thanks

mjs31

Reaction score
Hey guys, i know there's a few battery threads already, but I kinda wanted one directly aimed at me. Now why is my battery draining so fast? I have my GPS and WIFI off its running off 3g. I have alot of apps, but there seems to be only 2 programs running in the background IM+ and weather bug. Now I pretty much am forced to charge my phone twice a day. I charged it 100% last night and didnt use it much I woke up it was at 60% battery left (according to my battery monitor.) I thought this thing was supose to have amazing battery. From what it seems like the iphones everybody has have much much better battery life including my ipod touch which I use just as much as my droid if not more and i charge once every 3-4 days.

Let me know guys do i have a defective battery?

Thanks

Screen setting? The screen is by far the number one battery eater. Oh and by the way...I had the Iphone 3GS and it was a lot worse then this. Probably the number one complaint from people with that phone. These large vibrant screens just take a lot of power if you don't throttle them back.

OP
A

AHB900

Reaction score
screen setting? How do I change that? and what exactly am i suppose to change?

mjs31

Reaction score

Settings then sound and display. Select either auto dim or reduce the screen brightness then also adjust the turn off time. Will be the last two settings. I recommend using the power widget that comes with the phone. You can cycle through screen brightness in 3 stages just be clicking so if you need Max brightness you can click to get it, then when done just click again to go dim. The screen will always use a lot of battery but adjusting these will help. Also, watch out using any cases with magnets. They can trigger car mode and keep you screen on.

bassic83

Reaction score

Settings then sound and display. Select either auto dim or reduce the screen brightness then also adjust the turn off time. Will be the last two settings. I recommend using the power widget that comes with the phone. You can cycle through screen brightness in 3 stages just be clicking so if you need Max brightness you can click to get it, then when done just click again to go dim. The screen will always use a lot of battery but adjusting these will help. Also, watch out using any cases with magnets. They can trigger car mode and keep you screen on.
Interesting point, one I didn't consider myself...I had a mag-latch case, and I quit using it...it was semi-stretched out, and there were no cases at the VZW store that day, so I got the hard plastic cover and a screen protector on mine, and in the shirt pocket it goes. Looking for a geeky Pocket Protector-style thing for extra protection. One that it will just slide in while sticking out a little. That reminds me, I gotta replace the tape on the bridge of my glasses...;):D

moosc

Reaction score
I charge twice a day go about 6hours. If your battery dies in 4-5 hours then maybe. A problem

garrett

Silver Member
Developer
Theme Developer
Reaction score
..Today is my 1st full day with a Droid I'm gonna leave everything on and see how it goes.

Ill post back this evening with a status report.

Last edited:

mrpush

Reaction score
Folks,

I have set my display on really dim, and I don't use tons of apps, and I'm slim on the phone usage as well. My battery lasts about a day and half between charges.

If i let the kids use it to paly games, it goes MUCH faster.

You may have a defective battery. I'm getting great life out of mine.

I did the typical NICAD type thing, charged it up to full, let it drain nearly dead, about 3 times and it is getting better. Not sure if this is what should be done with Li-ion battery, but my battery is doing great.

MP

furiousDingo

Reaction score
I usually leave for work at around 7:30, that's when my Droid gets off the dock. I don't usually charge it in the morning drive and it lasts me (with a decent amount of texts, gtalk, app install [as of late, I really love this phone], e-mails, Astrid to-do stuff, etc) until I get in my car at night to go home, which is around 5:30 or 6. It really depends on the apps your using. I use Advanced Task-Killer and Locale. Locale's great b/c I set it up so when I'm at work to turn off WiFi and a bunch of other stuff (GPS, since I'm indoors) and I think that helps a lot too. Frankly, I think Locale's the killer app for the Android platform, if you configure it right, but that's a topic for another discussion.

mrpush

Reaction score
I usually leave for work at around 7:30, that's when my Droid gets off the dock. I don't usually charge it in the morning drive and it lasts me (with a decent amount of texts, gtalk, app install [as of late, I really love this phone], e-mails, Astrid to-do stuff, etc) until I get in my car at night to go home, which is around 5:30 or 6. It really depends on the apps your using. I use Advanced Task-Killer and Locale. Locale's great b/c I set it up so when I'm at work to turn off WiFi and a bunch of other stuff (GPS, since I'm indoors) and I think that helps a lot too. Frankly, I think Locale's the killer app for the Android platform, if you configure it right, but that's a topic for another discussion.

Hey, what is "Astrid to-do" and I never knew about the "Locale" thing, that is REALLY cool, Er, where is it?

Thanks,

MP

cereal killer

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Nokia Lumia Icon
Try trouble shooting...turn off IM+ but leave on weatherbug for a day..if you get improvement great..then turn on IM+ and leave weather off see how that goes....

One of those is obviously draining your battery. I had my phone on for 13 hours yesterday and with moderate use I was down to 60% at the end of the day on no charge.

lyoko37

Reaction score
I would have to say IM+ is the thing causing the biggest battery drain. Any IM program that needs to keep constant connection like that will really put a strain on battery. (I notice quite a difference with my battery life on days I have Meebo IM on compared to when I don't.)

On a side note: I really like Locale, I think that is an awesome application but I know it currently has a few GPS / location bugs that they are trying to work out which makes that part of it unreliable and draining (since it spends a while searching)

keiichi25

Reaction score
Check Here:

http://www.droidforums.net/forum/te...gestions/1974-understanding-battery-life.html

I posted about understand Battery Life, so my spiel might seem rather soap boxish.

As some of the people here mentioned, try checking some of the apps, background apps will 'wake' the phone a little to do its thing, but then just being an active phone, you are on standby time. Even 8 hours of standby time, you aren't going to get a 'trickle' loss, and that is also under the assumption you are not setting it into airplane mode at night.

Airplane mode, which shutdown the wireless all together will preserve some battery time, but your phone will still be 'active' and burning power to do its other applications, such as the clock, any other little background things you left on. Even if you completely turn off the phone, a small amount of power is drawn to replenish an internal battery to keep track of time and preserve information in the phone's memory.

wsbsteven

Reaction score
The phone's battery usage feature is really useful in finding out what is causing the drain. Screen using 50% of your juice? Turn the brightness down and manually put the phone in standby instead of letting it time out. Apps in the background (widgets like weather) are for sure going to cause lower battery life.

It's kinda like a lesson in renewable energy. You have a limited amount of power you can generate each day and if you burn it up or waste it, your lights will be off that night.

furiousDingo

Reaction score

Hey, what is "Astrid to-do" and I never knew about the "Locale" thing, that is REALLY cool, Er, where is it?

Thanks,

MP
Astrid is a program (in the Market, along with Locale) that links to Rememberthemilk.com (at least how I use it). When combined with Locale, when I go to the grocery store, for example, it notifies me of my grocery list, so I can just mindlessly add groceries to that task either on my computer or on the phone and then the phone reminds me when I'm at the grocery store that I need to buy bread, etc. Anyway, Locale is great for killing device functionality when you know you won't need it (i.e.: it automatically silences my phone when I'm at work so it doesn't ring during a meeting). They're both in the Android Market, unless you're asking where the thread about them is and no, I don't know if/where a thread is about them.