What should I do with this Dell Vostro A90?

Jaxidian

Team FreeMyMoto
Premium Member
Developer
Reaction score
Website
www.jaxidian.org
So I have a spare Dell Vostro A90 netbook laying around and I want to put it to use but I really have no idea what to do with it. It has an Atom 1.6GHz CPU, 2GB RAM, a 16GB SSD hard drive, Bluetooth, no 3G, and an absolutely atrocious keyboard.

Any thoughts on how to put this thing to good/real use?

LtKen

Silver Member
Reaction score
Swap the hard drive for something huge and make it a Media Center PC.

OP
Jaxidian

Jaxidian

Team FreeMyMoto
Premium Member
Developer
Reaction score
Website
www.jaxidian.org
So a couple ideas:

1. Hackintosh - The Mini 9 is practically the same netbook, just different plastic on the outside. I finally gave up on this because, to get this to work, you essentially need to have a Mac to assist and I have none available.
2. Chromium - I gave up because I don't want to get into compiling the source myself and deploying it that way. I wish they just had compiled builds that they've formed into ISOs for me to download or something.

I'm definitely open to suggestions, though! :)

OP
Jaxidian

Jaxidian

Team FreeMyMoto
Premium Member
Developer
Reaction score
Website
www.jaxidian.org
Swap the hard drive for something huge and make it a Media Center PC.

No go. First of all, the CPU sucks too much (it can't really even handle Hulu). Secondly, this doesn't take a standard 2.5" hard drive - it takes a 50mm mini PCI-e PATA SSD drive only. Or in other words, a 64GB drive is $100 and a 128GB drive is $200+. There's no such thing as a huge drive for this thing unless I went USB external, which that would be pretty much worthless.

LtKen

Silver Member
Reaction score
Why would it be worthless? I have an ancient crappy PC I use to host media all over my house, no problems -- I'm certain that machine is faster. OK....

OP
Jaxidian

Jaxidian

Team FreeMyMoto
Premium Member
Developer
Reaction score
Website
www.jaxidian.org
Well, I do already have a dedicated HTPC (dual-core) and file server (7TB). So relatively speaking, it would be worthless. ;-)

OP
Jaxidian

Jaxidian

Team FreeMyMoto
Premium Member
Developer
Reaction score
Website
www.jaxidian.org
You have a Droid X?

Not yet. Unless I get convinced otherwise in the next 2 weeks, I will, though. And more and more research into it is giving me reason to consider it (locked bootloader is the #1 culprit of them all, though).

JCo352

Reaction score
You have a Droid X?

Not yet. Unless I get convinced otherwise in the next 2 weeks, I will, though. And more and more research into it is giving me reason to consider it (locked bootloader is the #1 culprit of them all, though).

Yea, I thought about getting it, but I think I might get the Droid Pro when it comes out, or maybe even something made by HTC. You still rockin' the G1?

OP
Jaxidian

Jaxidian

Team FreeMyMoto
Premium Member
Developer
Reaction score
Website
www.jaxidian.org
You have a Droid X?

Yea, I thought about getting it, but I think I might get the Droid Pro when it comes out, or maybe even something made by HTC. You still rockin' the G1?

Yup, still going with the G1. The 2 main issues with it are 1) T-Mobile and 2) Severely CPU-limited. It seems that the thing crawls due to the CPU constantly being pegged. I run SetCPU and it makes a HUGE difference, but I just drool at the ability to have a 1GHz CPU that can run laps around this little CPU.

I can actually get by with the small screen due to the physical keyboard. I still claim that the G1 has had the best physical keyboard of any phone I've ever used or have even seen online! It makes it a synch to type emails while driving without having to look down! :redface:

Oh, and of course Cyanogenmod sure helps, too! ;-)

JCo352

Reaction score
Yea, I used to love my G1, and yes it does have the best physical keyboard. I used to use it ALL the time, now I never use the physical keyboard on my Droid.

OP
Jaxidian

Jaxidian

Team FreeMyMoto
Premium Member
Developer
Reaction score
Website
www.jaxidian.org
I might do that if I had a larger touchscreen but with the small screen I kinda don't have much choice. Although Swype isn't too bad on the small screen but another half inch even would make a huge difference for that.

OP
Jaxidian

Jaxidian

Team FreeMyMoto
Premium Member
Developer
Reaction score
Website
www.jaxidian.org
Well, right now I'm installing Windows 7 Pro to the A90.

Observation #1: Apparently it's not very happy with a 64-bit version.
Observation #2: Installing from a USB stick to a SSD hard drive is slower than I anticipated.
Observation #3: I may try the Chromium route again. I just stumbled across this.