What`s a Kernel and why is it draining my battery?

metalhead

Reaction score
Got a 2nd Maxx because of a speaker problem with my 1st one. Battery life with the 2nd one is not a good as the 1st one was. I`ve been reading some of the posts regarding battery life and have tried some of the tricks like training the meter and doing a factory reset after the ICS update. I`ve had this 2nd phone for a couple months now and the poor battery performance was present before the ICS update. Saw a post about an app called "badass battery monitor that could tell you if an app was draining the battery. I guess the name has changed to GSam battery monitor and I downloaded it. According to it, my 2 biggest battery hogs are the screen and something called Kernel. What the heck is that and more importantly, can I do something to reduce its battery draw? Thanks!

chhare

Reaction score
I have the same response as the OP as BadAss battery monitor (I like the old name) shows it being the battery hog. I understand that it is the "system" at work, but why so much lately? It didn't show this way previously. I guess the real question is, how can I tell if my Maxx is running at its peak performance? I have noticed a battery drop since the ICS update, but not as drastic as others have reported.

bruben7886

Diamond Member
Reaction score
chhare said:
I have the same response as the OP as BadAss battery monitor (I like the old name) shows it being the battery hog. I understand that it is the "system" at work, but why so much lately? It didn't show this way previously. I guess the real question is, how can I tell if my Maxx is running at its peak performance? I have noticed a battery drop since the ICS update, but not as drastic as others have reported.

Sort of analogous to saying, "windows uses the most of my battery on my laptop".

jaseman

Reaction score
Try loading the .214 leak and see if that doesn't help. My battery was great under GB.THen it was still fairly good under ICS, just not as good as GB. But after loading the new .214 leak the battery is now back to where it was under GB. Remember too that if for some reason the leak does not give you what you want there is a second .zip file that will put you back to .211 which is where you're at right now. Search google or any RAZR forum for "ICS .214 leak" and you will find super easy instructions for doing the update. dancedroid