What Programing Language should be learned first?

past_due

Reaction score
I'm interested in learning the Android programming language and am curious as to which language I should learn first, either Java or C++. I'm enrolled in classes at a college and would like to take one of these this fall. I've been looking online and everything says it's using the Java language, but isn't the Android language a little different than this? I've seen some sites saying C++ is also used somewhat.

I've taking some programming prior, Visual Basic, but not for some time.

Any thoughts?

garrett

Silver Member
Developer
Theme Developer
Reaction score
Javaaaaaaaa

definatly java as all android apps as far as i know are all built on java.

you may also want to take a web development class that touches on XML knowing those two will make your life much easier when it comes to developing applications.

XML is pretty simple once you get the just of it.

iPirate

Reaction score
Javaaaaaaaa

definatly java as all android apps as far as i know are all built on java.

you may also want to take a web development class that touches on XML knowing those two will make your life much easier when it comes to developing applications.

XML is pretty simple once you get the just of it.

Maybe I didn't use the XML enough but I found it very easy to pickup and everything was very simple in the xml files

takeshi

Silver Member
Reaction score
If you're looking to code for more than just Android, I'd suggest C++ first. Those that learn Java first in my experience tend to learn some bad habits. IMO, you're better off picking up C++ and learning to do things properly from the start. Picking up other languages will be a snap.

If you're only looking to code for Android then you might as well go for Java first.

OP
P

past_due

Reaction score
I was reading that the NDK now allows Android software components to be built with C and C++. Is this used often? By the article I was reading it didn't seem like it is used as much as Java.
I would like to start off by coding for Android and then maybe move on to C++. Which language is easier to learn? I've heard conflicting advice on this one...

alm0614

Reaction score
java is very similar to C++ but the developers have done a lot for you, if you understand C++ then java will be easy...but understanding java does not mean you will get c++.. if that makes any sense

smokiedabong

Reaction score
Personally I like LUA , probably because I'm a lazy mofo and a wannabe game developer . Still this is an elegant and easy to use language , it made some of my projects so much easier than doing them in C++ .

mcapozzi

Reaction score
Android is Java based, if you want to develop for Android, Java is your best option.

I personally think Java is a better learning language. Some of the stunts you can pull in C++ make my head spin.

-Mike