What phones are D2G users moving to?

tjl1756

Reaction score
My contract is expiring, and while I may not go for a new phone the exact minute the contract is up, I'm looking at the current offerings to see what options are available out there. The D2G has been a solid device, but I can't take another 2 years of the flaky *** operating system with no hope of getting the quirks fixed. The camera is capable of taking ok pics, but the system more often fails to process them, so the pics are lost, or the camera freezes, or the txt receipient gets a gray square, and that awful gallery locks up the phone trying to figure out what to do. I have to reboot the phone about every 48 hours to 72 hours when I discover it randomly locked up for some unknown reason. Play word games on it for a while, and the virtual keyboard responsiveness slows to a crawl. 70% of the updates fail because the #$%%^ system decides it can't access the sd card. The phone has never been rooted, and I've only used about 20% of the internal memory and the sd card has 8 gig free. The annoyingly long overdue GB update didn't seem to cure any of the earlier quirks, and might have added a couple. (And the motorola Windows XP usb drivers to communicate with the phone are garbage and fail 95% of the time.) --- So while the hardware seems robust, the OS fails as a phone, as a camera, as a game platform, and as usb storage. (It will play music quite a while as long as you load the mp3s by means of a sd card reader. But the OS will crash after playing for an hour or so.) I would assume D2G owners are jumping elsewhere when they can. What are the phones that can reliably do what the D2G promised to do?

wanta99gtr

Reaction score
I went from a Droid X to the Bionic. There are too many compounding factors to diagnose your phones woes.. (ram vs. Apps, malicious apps, bad flash, ect, ect.) I would normally recommend rooting and trying to reflash a rom. You would be surprised how much the roms improve performance. But it sounds like your patience and anger are beyond repair. I would recommend that you go get a Windows Phone or an Iphone. You don't seem to need a complex OS like Android. Good luck!!!

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Droid Forums

tjk629

Silver Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
NEXUS 6
I wonder if you got a dud. Some of that stuff sounds out of the norm. Like, I'm wondering if your SD card needed to be reformatted or was dying.

Anyways, you're not looking for fixes you want a new phone.

When does your contact expire? If you move over to a LTE device verizon may bump up your date. Just remember, if you upgrade to a new phone you WILL LOSE UNLIMITED DATA.

Do you not want another Motorola handset? Do you still want a physical keyboard?

Gasai Yuno

Reaction score
Xperia V most probably. Because I'm tired of waiting for Motorola to release a new QWERTY slider in Europe. XT89x that is apparently going to launch this autumn is almost one year old as it's just the GSM version of the DROID4, and there are no other manufacturers who do QWERTY.

And out of candybars, Sony has the best specs. So Xperia V it is, for me (yay European LTE bands, too).

Also, my D2G works perfectly fine (on GSM).

stillwaiting

Reaction score
contract expires in December, probably looking at the samsung note 2 or the rumored edge to edge phone moto is coming out with if their on vzw definitely not going with a phone with a slide out keyboard mainly because it adds on unneeded thickness and ive never really used it except for the extremely rare long text, but i have another 4 months so plenty time to do research and see what else comes out in that time period. been running miui since january and apart from the occasional freezes crashes and the video camera not really working havent had a problem with it. really looking forward to using ics or jb.