What not to do

SSHGuru

Silver Member
Reaction score
Ok... so I rooted because I wanted the full version of 2.2

So naturally I decided why not overclock also - no problem - running at 1000mhz no problem.

So I see Rom Manager - let's you flash entire roms easily. Hey why not?

I go nuts and try out a ton of them and play with all the features. Decide on LithMod Watermarked.

So I backed it up. Problem was the SD card was full - it didn't give me errors but the SD card was at 0.

Then I changed something and got into a boot loop.

Went to restore - oops the backup didn't work.

Could't get it to do anything - it was basically bricked.

So I did everything I could. I wiped the whole phone and data (oops) etc...

Then I found a thread on unbricking the phone using RSD Lite on your computer. It took me a while but I ended up with a new phone. Nothing on it but 2.0.

What now you ask? I believe it's been 2 to 3 hours.

Well how do you get from 2.0 to 2.2? You go from 2.01 to 2.1 to 2.2. And believe me it's not easy to find 2.01, it's not on Googles servers anymore. So another 1 1/2 hours and I'm back to 2.2. But my phone is basically empty.

I reload all of the necessary files and I re-root and load up Rom Manager and reflash what I had before. 5 hours and it's 6am.

Next day I re-load all of the necessary files (not all of em of course) and leave plenty of room on all the drives. I have to re-do all 5 of my email accounts. Loading the apps is a pain but I had them recorded in AppBrain for the most part.

So a day later I am back basically to where I was. Took about 8 hours total.

The good part. I was using Beautiful Widgets old version because I didn't want to change - turns out I like the new version better - had no idea so many choices and one blended into my screen perfectly.

Turns out of your do a full wipe and load everything up your phone may work better. It's doing things it had stopped doing before. Now it says Droiiiid again and when I plug in it brings up a screen to mount the computer. A bunch of other nice stuff also.

By the way, now I have multiple backups. And my phone rocks.:icon_ banana:

** Let's not forget re-loading my music and video's too.

Last edited:

shakesbrice22

Reaction score
They say wipe and cache at least 3 times before installing new roms (some of them anyway) but I always to and do a factory reset as well and yes it does help alot.

INSANENEIVIESIS

Developer
Reaction score
Website
www.shadowrom.com
They say wipe and cache at least 3 times before installing new roms (some of them anyway) but I always to and do a factory reset as well and yes it does help alot.

ehh that wipe 3 times is really not true. wiping multiple times doesnt clear anymore than the first. its the same process, so wiping 3 times its just deleting and cleaning things that dont exist. you only need to wipe 1 time ;)

OP
SSHGuru

SSHGuru

Silver Member
Reaction score
But if you wipe you have to start from scratch with the whole phone don't you?

INSANENEIVIESIS

Developer
Reaction score
Website
www.shadowrom.com

well yes but you dont need to re activate your phone or anything. all you need to do is log in to google and depending on what version of android your on your apps will automatically restore. the only thing left is to load your icons back. i dont even load icons back on since i wipe about 5 times a day lol.

J

Johnly

ehh that wipe 3 times is really not true. wiping multiple times doesnt clear anymore than the first. its the same process, so wiping 3 times its just deleting and cleaning things that dont exist. you only need to wipe 1 time ;)
God that is refreshing to hear! I think the multiple wipers are in need of meds....you are my hero!

xliderider

Reaction score
How did you fill up a 16gb card? :eek:

Well, I guess if I put all my movies on the card I could fill up the card... :D

Couldn't you have removed the card and used a card reader on the computer to delete some stuff off your sd card and do a nandroid restore?

OP
SSHGuru

SSHGuru

Silver Member
Reaction score
Google restored my contacts but not my applications. How do you log into Google and ask it to restore your apps?

Loading my widgets and icons with 5 screens is a pain. Also k-9 mail setup takes time.

I just don't see how it would take less than a few hours.

well yes but you dont need to re activate your phone or anything. all you need to do is log in to google and depending on what version of android your on your apps will automatically restore. the only thing left is to load your icons back. i dont even load icons back on since i wipe about 5 times a day lol.

OP
SSHGuru

SSHGuru

Silver Member
Reaction score
I had too many movies... Now I cut it down to four.

The problem was that the backup was corrupt so it wouldn't restore.

And I don't have a card reader...

Couldn't you have removed the card and used a card reader on the computer to delete some stuff off your sd card and do a nandroid restore?

INSANENEIVIESIS

Developer
Reaction score
Website
www.shadowrom.com

well a rom is a back up in a way you could just have loaded up another rom :)

OP
SSHGuru

SSHGuru

Silver Member
Reaction score
I had no space on the SD card. Also I had no rom to load.

well a rom is a back up in a way you could just have loaded up another rom :)

OP
SSHGuru

SSHGuru

Silver Member
Reaction score
Hmmm I never thought of that. They would still be there even though I wiped the whole phone and had to start over from scratch - I had to program the phone like it was new.

just go to market and check downloads...