What is the difference between a widget and a app?

Dream

Reaction score
Help a n00b out here, what exactly is a widget? Is it the same as an app? Im kind of confused :blink:

RinTinTigger

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Website
www.droidforums.net
Hey

A widgets streams live content direct on ur phones hpomescreen...like a weather app.
An app ist just a program ...could be also one that dont needs internet!

So every widget is an app, but not every app is a widget ;)

Hope that was correct and helps out!

SoCal65

Reaction score
To put it simply, a widget is a small application running on your screen, such as weather, twitter, facebook, etc. It is always running.

A application, which is not a widget, requires you to click on the application's icon to open and run it. You then close it when finished.

:icon_ lala:

Edit: Ninja'd while typing.

OP
Dream

Dream

Reaction score
OK that kind of makes sence. Im coming from a BB Storm2 and I had WB icon on my home screen at all times but it never showed as "running" in the app screen. Facebook was the same way.

RinTinTigger

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Website
www.droidforums.net
Well, wif the STORM i think its kinda different. i wouldnt see those WB and FB apps as widgets, theyre programs that just update the homescreen-icon... but thets theory or just philosophy to argue on that ;)

BTW: PWND 'n Ninja'd SoCal65

OP
Dream

Dream

Reaction score
So are these widgets something you want to close or shut off to preserve battery life?

Stigy

Reaction score
ALSO NOTE: Widgets need to "re-draw" and redownload information every time you hit the home button so its like running that many programs to go home.

If you start to feel the phone slow down I would rid your home screens of some widgets.

SoCal65

Reaction score
So are these widgets something you want to close or shut off to preserve battery life?

Every app/widget will use differing amounts of Droid Juice ©™ .

So just try different things and see - you have the freedom to customize your device anyway you want - to do what works for you.

:clap:

rangerover

Reaction score
i love widgets. this phone is amazing. i had an iphone and swapped to this one and i am loving it more an more each day. best decision i could have ever made

Darkseider

Reaction score
People assume that Widgets are a strict progression of cause to effect, but *actually* from a non-linear, non-subjective viewpoint - it's more like a big ball of wibbly wobbly... time-y wimey... stuff.