Widget vs App

Audiophobe

Reaction score
I feel like an idiot but:
What's the difference between a Widget and an App?

lauriep

Reaction score
I asked this same question and got these answers:

"A widget is an app running on your screen... such as displaying the time and weather without having to click on anything

A shortcut is simply a link to open whatever app/contact/bookmark/etc you want a quick link to" and

"Widgets are great if you look at your phone a lot thruought the day.. but if you are out and about a lot and not able to charge so often, I would not run that many. An app like the FB widget which gets an update every 1/2 hour probably wont drain too much.. it's mostly sitting around waiting for that 1/2 hour, then gets updates. But any widget that can run continuously, or get updates every minute or so, will drain your battery faster. How much is really dependend on the app. A widget app that has lots of threads running and uses a lot of cpu might drain faster than an app that doesn't do much at all (the duh factor. ;). "

OP
A

Audiophobe

Reaction score
I think I have it.
An app works when you call on it to work and a widget works continuosly.
Thanks

mth04

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Effective

Widgets are especially effective for weather and stuff like that :)

mjs31

Reaction score

Yep or future calendar appointments, etc... Similar to what a today screen had with the Blackberry although not so limited. Limited is NOT the Android OS>

mth04

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score

Yep or future calendar appointments, etc... Similar to what a today screen had with the Blackberry although not so limited. Limited is NOT the Android OS>

Agreed. I wish I had more time to get my device just right.

kiwiguy

Reaction score
Widget CPU utilization question

Another newbie question!

I have installed a number of widgets, but have only placed a few on them on the screen. I am assuming that that the rest do NOT actually start running (or use any CPU) until they are placed somewhere on a screen? (rather like an app does not use any CPU until it is started)

Is this correct - or should I delete all of my unused ones?

tripp racioppi

Reaction score
ok...how do you delete a widget from the home page? i have looked through every menu, setting, etc. also read the on-line manual "cover" to "cover" and have found nothing that tells you how to get the d... things off....

r3

Randomocity

Reaction score
Long press solves all problems :p
Tap and hold the widget until you can move it then drag it to the drawer at the bottom.

Happy droiding!

tripp racioppi

Reaction score
ok, i did it and see the trash can at the bottom....i also found out that verizon doesn't want you to remove certain ones...like the market one....r3 :mad: