What is the best way to implement Copy and Paste?

deputc26

Reaction score
On a smartphone of course.

Existing methods...
Android method: you probably know but.... [video=youtube;ofQqhJ_fa2M]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ofQqhJ_fa2M[/video]

iPhone method: [video=youtube;1vaTCtXyXA8]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1vaTCtXyXA8&feature=related[/video]

WebOs method: Hold shift key and select text computer style. [video=youtube;luMEMEBiL_g]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=luMEMEBiL_g&feature=related[/video]

WinMo:whatever

Of these I think WebOs does it best but even better would be a multi-touch variant where instead of holding down the shift key you hold down on *any* part of the touch screen with one finger and then select, You'd have to find a way to keep this from messing with multi touch zooming though, maybe holding down one of the soft buttons would be better like the menu soft button.

Anyone know how to make this an official suggestion to Google?

OP
deputc26

deputc26

Reaction score
Hmmm, should have given this a more controversial title...
*bump*

bllarkin

Reaction score
I particularly like the way that Apple handles the positioning of your cursor via the magnifier loop. I wish we had something like that to make positioning the editing cursor easier on the Droid.

Anonymouse

Reaction score
I like how Droid has 3 ways to copy/paste; double tapping a word, holding shift and dragging over the words you wanna hilight, or holding shift and using the dpad to select.

JonKyu

Silver Member
Reaction score
I personally really like how Apple implemented it, Dragging a "copy box" that doesn't disappear until you click on copy is so much more accurate than the selecting-tiny-text-with-a-big-ass-finger-and-hoping-you-got-everything-because-if-you-didn't-you-have-to-try-again-method that android currently has.

Anonymouse

Reaction score
I personally really like how Apple implemented it, Dragging a "copy box" that doesn't disappear until you click on copy is so much more accurate than the selecting-tiny-text-with-a-big-ass-finger-and-hoping-you-got-everything-because-if-you-didn't-you-have-to-try-again-method that android currently has.

Jon, reread my post. You can hold shift and push the Dpad to select words.

JonKyu

Silver Member
Reaction score

Jon, reread my post. You can hold shift and push the Dpad to select words.

Lol I know I read it, I already know that I can do it. I was mainly speaking about the Touch-screen capabilities. Unfortunately it's a little annoying switching orientation and sliding out a keyboard just to copy and paste a paragraph. I'd rather be able to do it fast with just the touch screen. Using the keyboard IMO is more for editing than for just copying things.

eliassami5

Reaction score
the methods that the DROID uses when the physical keyboard is open are fantastic but when you are using your phone 80% of the time you arent gonna have the keyboard open, thats when the copy and paste method isnt all that great.

OP
deputc26

deputc26

Reaction score
the methods that the DROID uses when the physical keyboard is open are fantastic but when you are using your phone 80% of the time you arent gonna have the keyboard open, thats when the copy and paste method isnt all that great.

Yes, this is my reason for starting this thread. Can droid sense 3 different touches? If so then maybe have 2 fingers stationary to trigger copy and paste for the remaining finger.

M

Matth3w

I particularly like the way that Apple handles the positioning of your cursor via the magnifier loop. I wish we had something like that to make positioning the editing cursor easier on the Droid.
God yes, that is great how they do that. I miss that from my original iPhone.

M

Matth3w

The way I usually do it is long press > select all > long press > copy/cut/paste

mjs31

Reaction score
Funny. I was just going to post on how lacking the droid copy and paste is. I personally like how they did it on the iphone and it would be my first choice. Having to open the keyboard is crazy.