What is MIN

muddy00

Reaction score
When I look under settings, about phone, status there is a MIN and a phone number what is that number? its not mine .

mcm180

Reaction score
I know right. ... I was getting all excited like ...maybe like bb pin... with Min messenger LOL hahahaha

New2u

Super Moderator
Reaction score
The MIN is "(Mobile Identification Number) is simply the phone number of the cellular telephone."

OP
M

muddy00

Reaction score
They don't match. Mine is a different number than. My number

SQFreak

Reaction score
Yeah, the MIN is the Mobile Identification Number and the MDN is the Mobile Directory Number. The MDN is the number you actually call to get the phone.

Before the days of Local Number Portability (LNP), the MIN and MDN were one in the same. Now, they can be different, and usually are for ported numbers. The MIN is just a phone-number-like number that the carrier uses to identify your line. The MDN is the actual telephone number. The MIN and MDN can be different for non-ported numbers too.

It's an unimportant (from a user's perspective), back-end technical concept. Whatever you do, do not change the MIN to match the MDN. Your phone will not work anymore. It won't be bricked, as you can just reprogram it, but until you do, it will not be able to send or receive calls or data. It's just fine.

See http://www.ifast.org/NumberPortability-and-IRM%20v1.3.pdf for a little more detail.

droideris

Reaction score
this is actually really common and is the most prevalent among users who have ported their number from another carrier. the mobile identification number is simply the number by which your specific phone is identified on a network.

mcm180

Reaction score
this is actually really common and is the most prevalent among users who have ported their number from another carrier. the mobile identification number is simply the number by which your specific phone is identified on a network.
Hmmmm learn something new... everyday... I love it. Thnx!