What is huge 'tmp' file on SD card?

tituswife

Reaction score
I'm trying to figure out why my 32GB SD card is filling up. Using Astro, I've located a file called 'tmp.' It is 13 billion bytes. My non-tech brain thinks that's a lot. Apparently, so many my calculator can't calculate it.

The file contains a sub-file, named 'send_cache,' which is empty, and a document, which is gibberish, and only uses 23,026 bytes.

So, where are all the other bytes, and is it safe to delete?

Thanks.

Abe21599

Super Moderator
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
also, 13 billion bytes is 12.1 GB :)

OP
tituswife

tituswife

Reaction score
That made a lot of sense. How do I do that on an Android?

Thank you, again.

Droid Firefighter

Reaction score
Indiana (and that is close enough for the internet
Current Phone Model
S8
Copy your SD card to your computer via a card reader or data cable. Once you have done that, disconnect from the computer and format the card in the phone. Once that is done, you can put back any files, pictures, our music you want to keep. I do this about once every 4-6 months and usually transfer about 300 pictures and video. I haven't run into an issue yet about having a missing file for an app to run. Good luck!

This post is Incredible 2

OP
tituswife

tituswife

Reaction score
Copy your SD card to your computer via a card reader or data cable. Once you have done that, disconnect from the computer and format the card in the phone. Once that is done, you can put back any files, pictures, our music you want to keep. I do this about once every 4-6 months and usually transfer about 300 pictures and video. I haven't run into an issue yet about having a missing file for an app to run. Good luck!

This post is Incredible 2

Thank you! That makes sense.