What is a widget and how do i use them? :/

jfgordon1

Reaction score
Alright, so I obviously don't know much about phones. What's the difference between a regular app and a widget ? and how do i use them? :(

Reaction score
long press your home screen select widgets pick which one you want to try.

basically it has functionality right on your home screen as opposed to opening an app then getting the functionality.

for example pandora a radio application you can use the widget right on your home screen to pause, play etc... without having to go into the program and lauch the app.

Dragoro

Reaction score
ok you either put short cuts to programs on your desktop, or widgets. Shortcuts just take ya to the program. Widgets can run the program in small versions (like a media player) or show synopsis of things (the next few days of events on your calendar).

Hypnotic

Reaction score
Just long press the screen and a widget option should appear. Widgets are generally used to make things easier to access.

OP
J

jfgordon1

Reaction score
ok, so i hold the home key and market, messaging, twidroid pops up... "widgets" doesn't show up. am i doing something wrong ?

is the "home screen" the house? lol. sorry.. i went from the enV to this thing... still getting use to it.

Anonymouse

Reaction score
Not home key, home screen. Like the screen you see with all your icons. Push your finger down and don't let up until the menu pops up.

OP
J

jfgordon1

Reaction score
Not home key, home screen. Like the screen you see with all your icons. Push your finger down and don't let up until the menu pops up.
holy **** ! Did not know of such a thing. I got it now... :icon_ banana:

thanks a ton.

Vulcan1600

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Is it me or are there not a lot of programs that have developed widgets yet? I really like the Handcent widget for example because it tells you right in the widget how many unread messages I have.

OP
J

jfgordon1

Reaction score
Haha, I feel so useful, and I don't even have the phone yet.
wow, while you feel useful.. i feel like a retard. I got this phone a few days after it came out lol... and a person who doesn't even have the phone is telling me how to use it.. :icon_eek:

Vulcan1600

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Haha, I feel so useful, and I don't even have the phone yet.
wow, while you feel useful.. i feel like a retard. I got this phone a few days after it came out lol... and a person who doesn't even have the phone is telling me how to use it.. :icon_eek:
I also found that humorous at your expense jfgordon. Sorry man.

DP13

Reaction score
And so did I...lol. Sorry jfgordon.
PS: Am I assuming or are you a jeff gordon fan?

cc16177

Reaction score
Yeah when my 57 year old dad got his Droid on launch day I called him on the house phone and I used my bluetooth so we could both use our Droids and I spent about an hour walking him through how to use everything.

Every so often I get a Google Talk message from him asking how to do this or that, honestly I absolutely love that my dad is enjoying the new technology enough that he wants to learn all this new stuff because he has never had a cellphone PERIOD prior to this. Plus it makes me feel good to finally be able to help and teach my dad because usually he's the one helpin and teaching me :)