What happens when you're using Google Navigator and the telephone rings?

bazeven

Reaction score
I plan to pick up this phone Friday, but have not seen an answer to this question. If I'm going down the road with Google Navigator leading the way - what happens when the phone rings? Can you use the speakerphone and the Droid continue to lead the way?

miniboss

Reaction score
I heard that Verizon's network can't do data and voice at the same time. I suspect if you get a call while using navigation you will have to choose one or another. The only networks that can do voice and data are TMobile and ATT.

:mad:

Does anybody else have experience with smartphones on Verizon's network?

garrett

Silver Member
Developer
Theme Developer
Reaction score
google naviagator will cache up the route while it will suspend the data but keep tracking using the GPS.... i found a video on this give me a few min ill post it...

garrett

Silver Member
Developer
Theme Developer
Reaction score
here you go.... starting just after 4:35 he shows how it handles the navigation while a call comes in....

[video=youtube;R7WzO6cUFOw]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R7WzO6cUFOw&feature=player_embedded[/video]

holytotemic

Reaction score
i figured the phone call would take precidence...its kinda nice it auto resumes the tracking after the call is over though....very cool

JimMariner

Silver Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Turbo 64G
I ended up buying a dedicated GPS because of that with the Storm. In the city it work fine, as long as no one called you. But when I got out of the 3G network in the Hills of the Carolina's, I lost all access to the online maps. As a Nav device the Storm was useless up there. I will always carry a GPS unit as a back up if I ever find myself on that kind of trip again. It really sucked having to go back to the old paper maps :blink: Aren't we all so spoiled by the tech we have come to love. :icon_ lala:

But as the video shows, no matter what the Droid Can DO, it is Primarily a Phone.

mth04

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
I ended up buying a dedicated GPS because of that with the Storm. In the city it work fine, as long as no one called you. But when I got out of the 3G network in the Hills of the Carolina's, I lost all access to the online maps. As a Nav device the Storm was useless up there. I will always carry a GPS unit as a back up if I ever find myself on that kind of trip again. It really sucked having to go back to the old paper maps :blink: Aren't we all so spoiled by the tech we have come to love. :icon_ lala:

But as the video shows, no matter what the Droid Can DO, it is Primarily a Phone.

Yea it is a limitation of the network. Maybe a standalone for those special trips is the best idea

ratchetjaw

Reaction score
good thing about android you can get co pilot and download the maps to your sd card for those trips where service may be an issue

techguru

Reaction score
I am hoping for a GarminXT version for Android for use in areas without good cell coverage. I have been using this on my Windows Mobile devices for some time, and it is really good.

Alan

JimMariner

Silver Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Turbo 64G
good thing about android you can get co pilot and download the maps to your sd card for those trips where service may be an issue

:icon_ banana: Now this sounds like a plan for those of us who are on the road often !!! :icon_ banana:​

rjsurfer

Reaction score
Ratchetjaw,

Can you explain "co-pilot"?

Does it allow you to create a route off line and then load it into the Droid?

That's one feature I like with Mapsource and Garmin, sometimes I prefer to create my own path to a destination rather than the canned version.

Ron W.

dean.collins

Reaction score
I heard that Verizon's network can't do data and voice at the same time. I suspect if you get a call while using navigation you will have to choose one or another. The only networks that can do voice and data are TMobile and ATT.

:mad:

Does anybody else have experience with smartphones on Verizon's network?

That is correct the CDMA network technology Verizon uses cant do voice and data at the same time.

I cant believe iPhone aren't coming back with a comeback that the GSM network has this basic functionality.

Cheers,
Dean

OfTheDamned

Reaction score
Ratchetjaw,

Can you explain "co-pilot"?

Does it allow you to create a route off line and then load it into the Droid?

That's one feature I like with Mapsource and Garmin, sometimes I prefer to create my own path to a destination rather than the canned version.

Ron W.

Here is a little more info on CoPilot live

In many ways it looks like a regular GPS unit, just loaded to your phone.

Plus it is only $34.99 in the Android Market CoPilot

Last edited: