Super Moderator
Premium Member
Reaction score
Hometown Brooklyn, NY Now Fuquay Varina, NC
Current Phone Model
Google Pixel XL/Galaxy Note 8
Twitter
DroidNCState
This is a nice Article I found of How the Merger With Google And Motorola Could Mean for The Bionic...

Yesterday, Google and Motorola announced that Google would be purchasing the latter for 12.5 billion dollars. Motorola will function as a separate entity from Google but that doesn’t mean there won’t be changes. In fact, Google states that it wants to “supercharge” Android. In other words, it wants to keep making Android better and it hopes buying out Motorola will keep them on that path.

But what does this mean for Motorola devices and more specifically, its upcoming flagship device, the Motorola Droid Bionic? In my opinion, the deal could mean two things might happen.

Both good.
bionic12.png

First though, I want to be clear, I don’t see the Droid Bionic as a whole being changed by this acquisition. It’s too far into development, it’s currently out in the wilds in its final form, batterylife is said to be great, and Motorola still expects it to launch in September.
I don’t think anything will be different a launch. However, I think the future of the Droid Bionic may have been altered by this purchase, a future that suddenly seems a whole lot brighter than it did yesterday.
Potentially Awesome Thing #1

ice-300x225.jpg

Google is not going to play favorites with Motorola phones because it’ll tick off other manufacturers like HTC and Samsung. Google even stated that Motorola will operate as a separate entity from Google.

However, you can’t dispute that this purchase will bring the companies closer together and because of that, I think that Motorola phones will be quicker to get major Android updates.
What does that mean for the Droid Bionic? Well, it means that Ice Cream Sandwich could come a whole lot faster when it’s released later this year. The point of the merger was to “supercharge” Android and I think part of that is Google wanting to get major updates out to phones not called Nexus in a much quicker fashion and the Droid Bionic could be the starting point.
Potentially Awesome Thing #2

In the past, Motorola phones have been extremely hard to customize because of precautions the manufacturer has put into place. Specifically, Moto has locked down the bootloaders on phones rendering customization nearly impossible. The practice has definitely turned plenty of people to other companies who phones possess bootloaders that can could be unlocked more easily.
Google’s Nexus device have no such issues and Motorola has even stated that it will be unlocking bootloaders in the future and I think it’s possible that this partnership could speed up the bootloader process for the Droid Bionic.
Google now has the ability to put pressure on Motorola to put this into effect and with HTC already offering an unlocking process for the HTC Sensation, it would make sense to get Motorola on that level. It wants to “supercharge” Android after all. Now, will it have an unlocked bootloader at launch? I doubt it, but I wouldn’t be surprised to see it come at some point after launch.

So, I don’t see Google buying out Motorola affecting the Motorola Droid Bionic’s present condition but I could certainly see how it might work wonders for the Droid Bionic in the future.
What do you guys and gals think?

Source

jroc

Silver Member
Reaction score
That seems believable, possible. I just cant wait to see happens over the next few years.

tcayton49

Reaction score
I'm gonna have to disagree with this article. I don't think this acquisition will effect the Bionic at all. ICS may be coming as soon as October. Obviously the Bionic won't get it day one, but I'm pretty sure it will come rather quickly. Moto has already delayed the phone, I cant imagine them delaying ICS too-talk about a PR nightmare. Moto has already said they will be making bootloaders unlockable late this year. I would be incredibly surprised to not see some kind of HTC type online unlocking before year end. Point being, I think both of those things will happen before this acquisition is finalized. That may not happen until early next year and I expect both ICS and unlockable bootloaders well before then.

Liderc

Silver Member
Reaction score
As much as I'd like to believe this nice idea, I think we're getting ahead of ourselves a bit. Google JUST completed this deal. These things take ages to finalize. It's unlikely we'll even see Google having their hand in anything Motorola Mobility does for at least a year, if they even attempt to change anything. These deals aren't usually made so one company can completely change the other, especially one that's been thriving, they're most likely after Moto's massive patent portfolio for future mobile expansion. Is it possible we'll see ICS before other phones do? maybe.

Last edited:

JohnnytheK

Reaction score
As much as I'd like to believe this nice idea, I think we're getting ahead of ourselves a bit. Google JUST completed this deal. These things take ages to finalize. It's unlikely we'll even see Google having their hand in anything Motorola Mobility does for at least a year, if they even attempt to change anything. These deals aren't usually made so one company can completely change the other, especially one that's been thriving, they're most likely after Moto's massive patent portfolio for future mobile expansion. Is it possible we'll see ICS before other phones do? maybe.

I've been through an acquisition before and you're right there's confusion for weeks. Projects in the pipe line have to go through. Later they may get sabotaged, but isn't the Bionic past all this?

Sent from my DROID X2 using Tapatalk