What does Google's Acquisition of Motorola Mobility mean for the future of Droid?

technogeek00

Reaction score
This caught my eye as I was heading off for the night:
Google Buys Motorola For $12.5 Billion, Says “Android Will Stay Open” | TechCrunch

Google says it will run it as a separate company, but is it possible there are changes on the horizon for the Droid landscape? Updates being rolled out much quicker? Longer support? Blur be gone? Unlocked bootloaders for all!?!?
Okay so that list got out of hand, but I don't see any of these out of the realm of possibly. Google has always pushed the idea of a Pure Android experience and now that they are in charge of the updates I would love to see them happen.

Thoughts?

Fr33dom

Reaction score
Hard to say--too many variables. The boot loader depends on the service providers so I doubt that changes.

IAm

Reaction score
I sure hope all of these things are true

Sent from my DROID2 GLOBAL using DroidForums

lanyao

Reaction score
most likely it's positive news, isn't it?
Just a little worried about the future relationship between google and other mobile brands like htc

Sent from my DROID3 using Tapatalk

jstafford1

Super Moderator
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Twitter
jstaff79
One thing i'm hoping for is better optimization of the hardware and software. Moto should get the OS way ahead of everyone for developement and that means more time to make it work with the hardware more seemlessly. This can mean nothing but good for us Moto faithful.

end of line...

yahwarrior

Reaction score
It means sooner or later Google will be the only communications company. [video=youtube;NFIIy2zbZyY]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NFIIy2zbZyY[/video]

AliasOther

Reaction score
Bamm! GoogleMoto A Wet Dream Come True

most likely it's positive news, isn't it?
Just a little worried about the future relationship between google and other mobile brands like htc

Sent from my DROID3 using Tapatalk

This is so HOT & SEXY!!!!!!!

Google will change the game with pure driodness-ism. The bad thing is that now You may want to skip the 1st generation Bionic. Any phone from my life partners Moto will be much better in os and speed. Dual core 1.5's with Android 2.5 or 3.0 which is certainly on fast track. Most times when a merge like this happens there is a sudden jump in versions.

Motorola has been strong since pagers. Their devoices are the sturdiest in the business. My DX is nicely waited and thin enough for me. The thinner and lighter the phone the more flimsy the construction is. (Like watches)
Googles Android OS " I S " the better os. It allows more to happen with the phone. Developers like it.

GoogleMoto is gonna be the bomb. Trust Me.

Reaction score
Everyone thinks it's good news. It's not. Google now has what it needs to become the next Apple. It's not going to be open android goodness for all. The code will fork and only Motorola will get the best versions of the OS. And that will be more locked down then ever.

Resistance is futile!

Sent from my DROID X2 using DroidForums

Ragnell

Reaction score
Everyone thinks it's good news. It's not. Google now has what it needs to become the next Apple. It's not going to be open android goodness for all. The code will fork and only Motorola will get the best versions of the OS. And that will be more locked down then ever.

Resistance is futile!

Welp! Back to Blackberry

spillner

Reaction score

Resistance is futile!

I couldn't disagree with this more. Googles success is from the fact that it has so many different manufacturers using their products that it would be counter productive to restrict it to only one phone maker. What I predict (and hope for) is the eradication of motoblur and Google making Moto phones stock Android similar to the Nexus 1 and OD. Moto has the best build quality of any phone couple that with unrestricted access to the latest OS and you have the potential to make some of the best phones on the market.

kingsway8605

Reaction score

Resistance is futile!

Wrong. This is going to do for software what the nexus one did for hardware.

Sent from my ADR6350 using Tapatalk

EFGantry

Reaction score
I couldn't disagree with this more. Googles success is from the fact that it has so many different manufacturers using their products that it would be counter productive to restrict it to only one phone maker. What I predict (and hope for) is the eradication of motoblur and Google making Moto phones stock Android similar to the Nexus 1 and OD. Moto has the best build quality of any phone couple that with unrestricted access to the latest OS and you have the potential to make some of the best phones on the market.

true story, imo!

Last edited: