What does Google's Acquisition of Motorola Mobility mean for the future of Droid?

imnotmikal

Reaction score
Google made a good decision. Why?
You: Is that an iphone?
Me: no
You: oh its a droid phone?
Me: yeah
We are not getting asked oh is that a nexus 1. Key word in that conversation is droid. Motorola has rights to use it. Noone else does. Moto won the device war they didnt know they were having and google snatched them up. Good job not being evil google. We might be seeing all moto phone being goog experience devices. Give me what i want.

Sent from my DROID3 using DroidForums

"Droid" is actually trademarked by LucasFilms, not Moto. Verizon pays LucasFilms to use the Droid trademark for marketing and what not.
HTC DROID Incredicble
Samsung DROID Charge
Neither of those are Moto...

CLShade

Reaction score
Ah, yeah, I can understand why a carrier would want a locked device. And why they'd have such sway over the OEMs to force locked devices. Rooting isn't risk free and the carriers don't want to shoulder that risk.

It is a rather complex set of factors, isn't it?

Makes me wish there was an option to buy an unlocked (both carrier unlocked and unlocked bootloader) and still get the carrier subsidy with a 2 year plan commitment... say with a penalty of paying a prorated full price for the device if you cancel the plan early. Same net effect for the carrier without the gynastics of having to lock the device.

I suppose us "does it have root, yet!?" types are a tiny minority in the market, though.