what do you guys think of the battery saver apps?

Reaction score
now i'm not talking about "task killers" at all-just battery savers.

i started out with juice defender ultimate, but now i'm using 2x battery saver as it seems to make the phone last longer. i think juice defender just has too many functions running....

2x battery saver makes my GN last about as long as the extended battery i used to have.

so, what do you guys think? have a favorite? don't like 'em? :icon_eek:

Droid-Xer

Super Moderator
Premium Member
Reaction score
Don't like them. Having an app running in the background to kill other apps running in the background or to do simple tasks doesn't make sense. I think any perceived battery savings are just that, perceived.

cloudstrife05

Reaction score
I think a lot of it depends on how you use your phone. JD is ok. I've been using Battery XL and it's pretty decent.

Rooted D3 Eclipse 2.2 ADW ex Launcher

OP
GalaxyFlatulence
Reaction score
Don't like them. Having an app running in the background to kill other apps running in the background or to do simple tasks doesn't make sense. I think any perceived battery savings are just that, perceived.

you're describing task killers, i don't like those either. the battery saver apps do things like turn off the 4g radio when the screen is off.

dezymond

Tech Support Mod
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Google Pixel
Never used them and see no reason to start using them now.

bsmith0731

Reaction score
Never used them and see no reason to start using them now.

I was using a few different ones but have Recently deleted them all accept for cpu spy and had a very good day today with 4 hours of screen time.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using DroidForums

Droid-Xer

Super Moderator
Premium Member
Reaction score
you're describing task killers, i don't like those either. the battery saver apps do things like turn off the 4g radio when the screen is off.

Many still run in the background. I think disconnecting data to save on battery defeats the purpose of a smart phone. I need to see my emails from several different accounts, so that's impractical.

gernerttl

Reaction score
I think a lot of it depends on how you use your phone. JD is ok. I've been using Battery XL and it's pretty decent.

Rooted D3 Eclipse 2.2 ADW ex Launcher

I agree with cloudstrife05. It depends on how you use the phone. When I am not at home, I shut off Wifi. I also only enable blue tooth when I need hands free. Since I am in a 3G only area. I turn off the 4G radio which also helps with battery life. I get good battery life just by doing those things I mentioned.

The GNex is the Lamborghini of phones. Lamborghinis are fun to drive, but get lousy gas mileage, and sometimes you have to drive one like a Prius to get the maximum mileage out of a tank of gas. The same with the Gnex, sometimes you have to drive it like an iPhone.

OP
GalaxyFlatulence
Reaction score
Many still run in the background. I think disconnecting data to save on battery defeats the purpose of a smart phone. I need to see my emails from several different accounts, so that's impractical.

not if it gives you more juice to surf the web :D

however, i can see it from your point of view, if need immediate notification of emails for business or personal. i just don't lol. my family and friends either text or call me.

Droid-Xer

Super Moderator
Premium Member
Reaction score
I have everything syncing every 30 minutes or so, 4g always on, and brightness at about 70%. I get about 3 hours screen on time. With or without the extended battery. On any kernel. So I always have a charger handy and extra batteries nearby.

leakim13

Reaction score
Two battery solution.

Every feature you just described about shutting off data when the screen is off etc are all in the rom control options of AOKP so no need for another app.

From a Sexy Nexy in the Great North Woods