What did I do?

cruzincat

Reaction score
This morning, when I woke up, the phone, still in its cradle was displaying a screen with three selections on it. I did not have my glasses with me. I think I touched the selection on the left. Then I got a display that seemed to show the Droid coming out of the box and being laid next to the box. Nothing else was happening, so I powered off. Tried again, same thing. Tried again and now all I get is the M splash screen I usually get on power up.

Were they trying to push Froyo to me and I screwed it up? How do I do a reset?

allikanbe

Reaction score
I can answer the first part of the question. Yes, that was the update. It was being installed correctly (box to droid) and you turned off your droid. Maybe if you power on the droid and WAIT, then it will restart the process. If not, I'm sure someone will chime in soon to tell you how to get it going.

OP
cruzincat

cruzincat

Reaction score
I did the reset and now it is displaying a triangle with an exclamation point next to a droid. Is that part of the reset or the upgrade?

OP
cruzincat

cruzincat

Reaction score
If the upgrade is what started all this, I have one question. Why in heck doesn't Verizon/Motorolla or whatever entity that sends this out, send you an email in advance to let you know it's coming and what you need to do when it hits?

OP
cruzincat

cruzincat

Reaction score
Tried the reset again. It did the wipe OK, but no reset or boot possible. I bricked it. Got a new one on its way, and should be here tomorrow. Sigh! The smarter the phones get, the more that can go wrong.

Tallica

Premium Member
Premium Member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Tried the reset again. It did the wipe OK, but no reset or boot possible. I bricked it. Got a new one on its way, and should be here tomorrow. Sigh! The smarter the phones get, the more that can go wrong.

I doubt you bricked it. I'm sure we could get it fixed if it will at least get to the M logo when you turn it on.

OP
cruzincat

cruzincat

Reaction score
I sometimes can get to the selection screen where I can wipe/reset or execute update.zip from the SD card. The update.zip is not there and the reset does not work. If I could get the zip file on my sd card, maybe, but I don't have time to play with it now, until tomorrow morning.

I have already lost my data and will have to start from scratch(except for my contacts on gmail.com). Might as well go with the new phone.

daxstyles

Reaction score

I doubt you bricked it. I'm sure we could get it fixed if it will at least get to the M logo when you turn it on.

My phone is still stuck at the Motorola M logo; has been for hours. Tried battery pulls, but will not go past that. Cannot use the power button to turn it off, and the screen will not timeout. Fix away please!

brando56894

Reaction score
@cruzincat
you definitely didnt brick it, we could have fixed it. You'll just end up doing the same thing again because the new droid will most likely be shipped to you with 2.1 and not 2.2.

@daxstyles
do a battery pull and before the phone boots up hold down the 'x' key on the keyboard and while still holding it press and release the power button. Release the 'x' key once you see a screen with a yellow triangle and an exclamation point in it. Once there hold down the camera button and press the volume up button, this is the stock recovery menu, it may take a few presses to "unlock" it but once it appears you can release the buttons. Now navigate down to "factory reset" using the d-pad and select it using the gold button or the enter key. This will wipe the /data partition so all of your apps will be gone, but this should fix your issue.

daxstyles

Reaction score
Took the phone to Verizon store over lunch. The gal there took my phone in back and whispered sweet nothings into it's ear for an hour and came back out with a happy Droid.