What are YOU gonna do with your D1 when you upgrade?

poooookah78

Reaction score
I'm definitely going to get a Droid Bionic (hopefully in April if all our wishes can be met) and I'm thinking of the possiblities the D1 has beyond its service life.

I'm not going to sell the D1 I don't think, it doesn't seem to be selling well on ebay. I also see more value in keeping it than selling it for the 50-75 bucks I could get for it. I was hoping we as previous D1 users could all put together a list of things we could use this beast for.

I was hoping we could keep this a rolling type of thread that increases suggestions for uses... maybe I have some ideas for the D1 that others haven't even thought of.

Here is a list of things I can think of that a D1 with Wireless access and no service could be used for. PLEASE CORRECT ME IF I'M WRONG IN ANY OF THESE FEATURES:

1. Storage for documents, etc.
2. mp3 player to be taken to the gym
3. Drop box access point
4. Verizon HD Remote Control (a lot better and more responsive than the standard remotes they give you).
5. Nes/Snes Emulator - Wii Mote app is AWESOME!
6. gaming system for games you've saved (anywhere for lots of games like angry birds, etc.)

I could go on more but I wanted to get this started and see what else people can think of.

Are you going to keep your D1 or sell it/give it away?

I look forward to the responses!!

dezymond

Tech Support Mod
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Google Pixel
already upgraded to an Incredible.

Gave it to my little sibling.

OneTenderRebel

Silver Member
Reaction score
I plan to bronze my Droid 1 when the times comes to retire it. I shall place it upon my mantle and gaze at it very lovingly from time to time.

sincitygrrrl1

Reaction score
TBolt being delivered tomorrow. Keeping my Droid1 to use as a MP3 player when I go for my walks and working out. Don't know what else it can do without service so will be interested to see what others list.

kodiak799

Gold Member
Reaction score
Alarm clock (you can wake to music) and back-up phone. At home on wifi it has lots of practical purposes. And if you have VoIP, there you go...

OP
P

poooookah78

Reaction score
Yeah, skype would work w/ wifi right? International calls from home for free... :)

kodiak799

Gold Member
Reaction score
Yeah, skype would work w/ wifi right? International calls from home for free... :)

Lots of possibilities. Strip it down to the bare essentials (i.e. maybe email but no RSS feeds, no youtube, no google nav) and you should be able to use that spare power for some coming goodness.

Thach

Reaction score
There is no way I could ever get rid of my D1. I am just not sure what I would do with it other than store till I need it again. Though, as long as devs keep updating roms, I might just stick with it for a while. The Bionic looks sick and is the one phone I would upgrade to so I am not counting anything out yet.

Sent from my Droid using DroidForums App

Vulcan1600

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
My D2 just sold for just under $250 the other day. The secret is how you market your sale item.

nerdslogic

Silver Member
Reaction score
My old D1 went to my wife....from there it will become a portable gaming device with WiFi access. Still quite useful IMO...

Lenagainster

Reaction score
Testing out some apps before I put them on my D2.

and how will this help? Apps that work for the D1 don't always work for the D2 and vise versa.
true, but some apps work on both. Yesterday, I wanted to explore Astrid before installing it on my D2. That was a help.
I mainly keep the D1 charged and up to date (just had a system update yesterday as well) as an instant replacement in case one of our D2s dies. Prefer that over paying a monthly insurance premium.