We're sorry but it appears your computer is sending automated requests

Gamtu

Reaction score
Lately, when I use Google on my phone to surf the web. After about 20 or maybe 30 minutes I get this message "We're sorry but it appears your computer is sending automated requests" This causes google to lock me out completely. There is a gigantic list of possible causes and possible solutions to the possible causes that follows.

After skimming through this list I estimate it could take me more than a month of research before I'd actually come to the solution. That is if the actual solution is even listed.

Also whether or not it's relevant, google is calling my phone a computer. I thought these phones were "enhanced" by google. Doesn't google recognize the Droid X as a Droid X?

Is there a way to stop this problem? Could I have installed an app that is constantly making requests of google automatically and without my knowledge?

I have 79 Apps installed including all the bloatware they put on the phone. When I first got the phone, I didn't encounter this problem. I'm not exactly sure when this started but it was long after I got the phone. A lot of the apps I've installed have gotten updates so I'm not sure if it's an app I installed recently or an app that I installed the day after I got the phone that has been updated.

I try to keep my cache, history and cookie data clear but this automated requests error keeps happening.

Steve H

Reaction score
If you are using Gmail your account may have been hijacked and that could be the source of the problem.

OP
Gamtu

Gamtu

Reaction score
If you are using Gmail your account may have been hijacked and that could be the source of the problem.

OK, how can you tell if it's been hijacked?

When I got the phone at the Verizon store the clerk at the store set up my Gmail account. I thought from what she was telling me that a Gmail account was necessary for the operation of the phone.

For 99% of all my email I have my phone linked to my usual email addresses. It would be a very rare occurance for me to use my Gmail account for anything outside of this forum.

MendedLogic

Reaction score
Have you tried using a different browser then going to google? Just thinking it could a buggy stock browser.. and perhaps resetting your app defaults may help.. just an idea.

Sent from my DROIDX using DroidForums App

Steve H

Reaction score
Mine was hijacked a few weeks ago. My first clue was the notice from Google that they noticed some unusual high activity in my account and I need to log in (they logged me out). Once I logged back in I started receiving returned emails that the hacker sent to contacts in my contact list that were no longer valid. To make a lone story short that hacker figured out my password and was using my account to send A BUNCH of spam. The fix is to have a STRONG password.

alienware777

Reaction score
While you may of been hijacked, I doubt it. It wouldn't come as an automated request. Even if it was an app that was sending emails or something, it would appear user generated. Around a month ago this happened to me a couple times. It was happening like once a day, so I did a hard reset. Reinstalled every app I had, and google was no longer giving me the problem. I honestly have no idea what was happening, but the reset seemed to have fixed it. Try using an app like titanium backup to make a backup or all your user apps, then reset your phone, and finally restore the user apps/data. Hope it works for you as well as it did for me :)

Edit: Oh, and Steve H, a strong pw only helps agaisnt people trying to brute force your account. If you download a keylogger or a stealer, then your long pw is just as safe as a pw with only one digit. I'm not saying to use a small password though, don't take me the wrong way. Just saying that a long password isn't everything.

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk

MendedLogic

Reaction score
While you may of been hijacked, I doubt it. It wouldn't come as an automated request. Even if it was an app that sewnd emails or something, it would appear user generated. Around a month ago this happened to me a couple times. It was happening like once a day, so I did a hard reset. Reinstalled every app I had, and google was no longer giving me the problem. I honestly have no idea what was happening, but the reset seemed to have fixed it. Try using an app like titanium backup to make a backup or all your user apps, then reset your phone, and finally restore the user apps/data. Hope it works for you as well as it did for me :)

I agree whole heartedly! This is NOT an email issue but rather a web surfing one and a hard reset and re-apping sounds like a good solid plan! :)

Sent from my DROIDX using DroidForums App

OP
Gamtu

Gamtu

Reaction score
Thank you for the quick replys.

I will try this hard reset and re-apping.

One question, by "hard reset" do you mean turn the phone off completely, pull out the battery, count to ten reassemble and turn back on or is there an instruction I have to give the phone to do this?

alienware777

Reaction score
You have to enter your recovery menu. On the D1, that means holding X while the phone turns on. Use google to figure out how for your phone. Now the menu may be set up a little different on your phone then mine, but there should be an option in there that has something realting to reseting your phone.

techguru

Reaction score
Mine was hijacked a few weeks ago. My first clue was the notice from Google that they noticed some unusual high activity in my account and I need to log in (they logged me out). Once I logged back in I started receiving returned emails that the hacker sent to contacts in my contact list that were no longer valid. To make a lone story short that hacker figured out my password and was using my account to send A BUNCH of spam. The fix is to have a STRONG password.

Same thing happened to one of my gmail accounts. Not the one I use on my Droid.

Alan