Android Auto For Everyone With The AutoMate App!

DroidModderX

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score

Android Auto is a pretty exciting new product from Google. The only real drawback here is that it turns out to be another device that you will have to buy. It is actually a pretty expensive venture when you consider you have to buy an all new headunit for your cars stereo system, and then you will need to pay to have it installed. Many Android Auto updates will set you back around $800 which is a huge bummer especially if you have already spent as much on a fresh new flagship phone. Wouldn't it be nice if you could just use that shiny new flagship phone to run Android Auto, and just buy a cheap mount for your phone?

Their is a new app called AutoMate that will turn all phones into Android Auto head units. This is still a beta app and is not yet official. AutoMate will give you easy access to Google Maps navigation, phone, music, and other apps used while driving. The interface is designed to help drivers focus on the task at hand while helping them along the way. You can get in on the Beta testing by heading to the link below to join the Google+ Beta community. Then you will need to request to join the beta from the play link.

Google+ Beta Community
Play Link

Via LifeHacker

pc747

Rescue Squad
Reaction score
5c1814e1c5e5969fdac515c700a032de.jpg

Been playing with it and think it has some potential. I am considering buying the premium version to support the devs. This is a beta and according to a few comments on g+ they believe the app was causing bug alerts. So far I have not had that issue. I hope theses guys are able to continue with development and improving the app.

johnomaz

Silver Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Google Pixel 2XL
been following this on Google Plus. On the phone, you don't get the beta test opt in so I thought the link wasn't live yet. Works on my desktop though. Going to set up my Nexus 7 in my car this week and see how it goes. I will buy the premium version because its something I really want to work well and get finished.

pc747

Rescue Squad
Reaction score
That was from my nexus 6

kodiak799

Gold Member
Reaction score
Driving assistant works great on the Moto Droid Turbo

Jonny Kansas

Administrator
Staff member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Website
www.google.com
Current Phone Model
Pixel XL
Twitter
jonny_ks
Wish I traveled enough to justify getting into this app. I've been following it loosely as well. I just don't go very far from home most of the time and usually know where I'm going. On the off chance that I'm headed to a business or house that I haven't been to before, I just snap my phone into my car mount, load navigation, and go.

I can see how this would be a great setup for someone that spends quite a bit of time in the car though.

PereDroid

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Moto Turbo 2
Driving assistant works great on the Moto Droid Turbo

Pretty much what I'm thinking.... "Why would I need this when I have Moto Assist?" :D
Or any of the 30 other apps that do this and have been on the market for awhile. Easy access to stuff? AT LEAST 30 apps that do this...

johnomaz

Silver Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Google Pixel 2XL
I like this app because its simple and clean. Its pretty much a clone to Android Auto. I've used several dashboard apps for in the car and they are all so cluttered and not that good. I plan on making my old Nexus 7 into a head unit in my car and this will be what the launcher is for it. Now I just need to actually do the work of getting it in my car =D.

Jonny Kansas

Administrator
Staff member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Website
www.google.com
Current Phone Model
Pixel XL
Twitter
jonny_ks
I like this app because its simple and clean. Its pretty much a clone to Android Auto. I've used several dashboard apps for in the car and they are all so cluttered and not that good. I plan on making my old Nexus 7 into a head unit in my car and this will be what the launcher is for it. Now I just need to actually do the work of getting it in my car =D.
You should definitely take pics and create a thread showcasing the project.

cr6

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.dronewolfmedia.com
Current Phone Model
Galaxy S7 Edge
Twitter
@dronewolfmedia
It's definitely a big project if done correctly. I've watched a number of YT videos on it back during the 5 minutes I thought of doing the same. They've got every available method on YT, from a simple crade and BT connection, to building a custom dash and making it permanent, and everything in between. I didn't end up doing it because you really need to have the right vehicle and room on your dash so it doesn't stand out like a sore thumb. A 7" tablet doesn't seem that large until you try and figure out where to put it so it isn't covering up or blocking access to anything else built into your current setup.
Good luck Johnomaz! I look forward to seeing the end result.

S5 tap'n

_33

Reaction score
Downloaded and purchased premium! I use my Note 10.1 2014 edition from Tmobile in my truck with a cool tablet stand. I use the Aux plug for the tablet and the Ford Sync blue tooth for my phone. This looks like it could be a great solution for me. Thanks guys!